About Me

My photo
I am married to a wonderful man who is my best friend. I have 3 wonderful boys and a little girl who make me laugh everyday. I love my life, even if it is a little crazy from time to time.

Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Welcome Baby Skylander!



Hello Baby Skylander

Due to the doctor thinking this baby was going to be large like Joel (Joel was 9lbs and 5 days early!) she wanted to induce me at 39 weeks.  This wasn’t my ideal plan, in my ideal world I would go into labor on my home, labor at home for a while before I had to go to the hospital.  My doctor probably would have gone along with this plan, but I knew that Vincent and Cecilia were both induced after their due dates and the third degree tear I had with Joel wasn’t fun, so getting induced seemed like the best option for us.   Brad and I got to the hospital on the morning of the 19th and were quickly taken by surprise when the nurse told us our doctor was not the one on call.  I told her that I was told she would be there and minutes later the doctor called with the plan for me.  I felt much better because the only day we picked the day we did was because they said my doctor would be there!

They started the induction around 9am and after a day of contractions, Brad’s trip to Wal-Mart to get a warm jacket for himself (I liked the room cold), and 2 pushes we met Dean Herbert Stewart around 4pm.  Its all on video because Brad brought his Go Pro and headband for it, the doctor thought it would be fun and was ok with him taking a video and even told him where to stand for a good view and “not to worry the nurse could hold my leg.”  I kind of wish I had a camera to take a picture of him.  But it is the only birth we have on video and I am so happy we do.  Brad kept the video going as Dean lay on my chest getting dried off and cleaned up.  It is precious.  He was 8lbs 6 oz and 20.5 inches long with a lot of hair, chubby cheeks and a neck roll.  It made me laugh.  Dean was also the only child we had whose name we decided on before he was born.

That evening Mom, Dave, Kennidy, Ari, Jill, Joe, Diane, Craig, Vincent, Joel and Cecilia all came to visit and meet Dean.  You could only have 4 visitors in the room at a time so they all kept rotating through.  By the time they arrived it was almost 6pm and my epidural was still in full force. I had no pain, no discomfort and I couldn’t feel my legs at all.  That had never happened to me before and I was a little worried, but kind of enjoying it.  We were still in the large delivery room because they couldn’t move me until I went to the bathroom and I couldn’t get up to go to the bathroom.  The epidural was working so well that I couldn’t even tell if I needed to urinate or not.  It was a strange feeling!  Finally the nurse told me my bladder was large and I needed to try.  I still couldn’t feel my legs so she gave me a bed pan after I asked my Jill, Joe, and Craig and Joel to leave.  Diane was sitting and holding Dean and I just pretended she wasn’t there.  Using a bedpan is just strange and even stranger with people watching you and stranger yet when you can’t tell if you are going or not.

After everyone left they moved Brad, Dean and I to postpartum, I could feel my feet by then.  We had a pretty good night with Dean not waking up very much.  He was pretty good at nursing right from the start which is always a relief.  The next day Brad was in and out.  He was getting bored sitting in a room.  I was too, but it was kind of nice to not have to worry about feeding or taking care of anyone but Dean.  My sister Alyse came to visit the day after Dean was born and so did my mom and Cecilia.  The second night we stayed in the hospital Brad slept at home.  I told him it was ok and we ended up with a nurse that we knew and she was very helpful through the night and I was feeling pretty good.  Actually the best I ever had after having any of the kids. 

When they did the 24 hour testing on Dean they determined he was jaundice and told me to just feed him as often as possible.  They retested his levels later and they were still elevated.  On the 21st in the early afternoon we were discharged and Brad and Joel came after therapy to come get Dean and I.  Joel was very happy to get to come with Daddy and he was really excited to find out the bed went up and down.  It provided some entertainment for him while we waited for my discharge.

When we got home Joel pretty much told everyone that it was his baby and wanted to show him all around the house and showed him all the decorations they made for Dean’s arrival.  Actually all 3 kids were fighting over Dean and Joel was getting mad if anyone even talked to Dean.  My mom had taken care of the kids while I was in the hospital and it was so great to know they were having fun with her and fun that she helped them make decorations too! 

No comments:

Post a Comment