About Me

My photo
I am married to a wonderful man who is my best friend. I have 3 wonderful boys and a little girl who make me laugh everyday. I love my life, even if it is a little crazy from time to time.

Saturday, November 23, 2013

Harvest at the Main Farm




In the middle of October harvest was in full swing.  When the guys were harvesting the field around the main farm Joel, Cecilia and I went out to take some pictures and take a ride in the tractor.  It was very windy that day and not very warm.  We rode with Grandpa Craig for a little bit.  Then we went in the semi with Brad.  The field was muddy and he didn’t want the tractors having problems in the pit, so they loaded the semi behind or to the side of the silos and then Brad drove over the pit and dumped the truck.  It was a 0.1 mile drive.  We had fun because it isn’t often 4 of us can ride in the semi, but when you aren’t going on a road it is possible!



Joel riding in the grain cart.


Cecilia in the grain cart.  Wearing her brother's old coat.


Mommy and Joel in the grain cart.


Daddy and Cecilia in the semi truck.


The grain set up!


Beautiful fall colors and harvest time!


I love the beautiful leaves with the corn.


Grain carts waiting on the combine.



1 of 100s of combine and grain cart pictures.



Grandpa Craig in the grain cart.


The combine finishing the row.



The start of the semi's very short drive to the pit.



Fun pictures from the top of the silo.  Brad took these.



The horses.  Our tree our hiding our house.


Back to farming...the combine takes 16 rows at a time.



Our semi truck.



One of our tractors.



Another combine and grain cart picture. 


The grain cart getting a load of corn.


Finishing the field.


A full grain cart.  We generally fill them to on average 55,000 lbs.



I left my camera with Brad because I wanted him to take more pictures.  Every year we try to get pictures of them harvesting the field by the farm from the top of the silo.  They pictures basically look the same every year, except for the random ones Brad takes.  I also wanted Brad to get pictures of them harvesting the field across the road.  It is the first year we have harvested it, we just purchased it this past winter.  It is not often we get pictures in a new field.  Most people wouldn’t be able to pick out what field we are in from a picture of a combine and grain cart in action, but Brad can.  He looks just as much as the field, background, etc as he does the focal point of the picture.  I am betting he is not the only farmer who does!  (Once you start looking at all the bird's eye view picture it is all Brad's talented photo abilities to the end of this post!)




Those trees block our house.  It is in there I promise.

Looking toward our house again...this time more toward the road.



Croc.


The silos.



From the bin looking toward the dryer.


A view of the main farm from our new field.


Another view from across the road.


The grain cart ready to cross the road to come to the field.


The grain cart crossing the street.



The corn is very tall.



A view from behind.



The grain carts have scales in them as well as auto steer.



I think it is fun to run the grain cart most of the time.



Breaking through the field.



A beautiful moon!  We farm well into the evening.



No comments:

Post a Comment