About Me

My photo
I am married to a wonderful man who is my best friend. I have 3 wonderful boys and a little girl who make me laugh everyday. I love my life, even if it is a little crazy from time to time.

Saturday, November 23, 2013

Adding the Final Touches to the Fence



We needed to finish up the fence for our big pasture so we could move all of our horses to our house instead of just 2 of them.  There was a lot of grass to be eaten and I was anxious to get the horses moved.  I am not sure how it happened but one afternoon when Brad was working on the fence Joel was the only one awake.  He was so excited to get to help daddy.  Joel insisted on wearing Brad’s gloves while he helped stretch fence.  It was a great idea and I was wishing I had a pair of gloves as well.  Joel did a great job, was pretty helpful and followed directions.


Joel and Brad hard at work.


Joel helping pull the cable.


Joel helping Brad.



Joel and the giant gloves.



Joel loved helping!



Someday those gloves will fit him.


Joel is happy to help!


When Joel and I were taking a break from helping Brad, Joel decided to rearrange the pumpkins near our front stairs.  One by one he moved the pumpkins off the stairs and onto the retaining wall.  He took his job very seriously.  I have no idea why he wanted them moved.  Sometimes it is better not to ask questions.



Pumpkins are not light.


Joel looks like he is figuring out a plan of attack.



Success!


Some of the fence in the large pasture is 3 rail fence, however a lot of it is just 1 heavy duty electric cable.  The horses have touched it and are afraid of it, but it is one cable and it made me a little nervous that they wouldn’t see it.  The cable runs between us and the golf course (there is also a short white fence the gold course has up) and between our property and my in-law’s property.  If they get out on my in-law’s side no big deal they are in the other horse pasture.  If they get out on the golf course side and we have big problems.
 


Cecilia''s baby had to come join us.



Brad using the weed eater.


One Saturday morning the guys weren’t farming in the morning because of the homecoming parade.  Brad started running the weed eater (to make sure the electric fence was working properly), and the kids and I drove around tying rags (small pieces of a bed sheet…it was all we had that I could cut up) on the cable fence.  Vincent thought it was great and did a great job tying it on the fence.  Don’t worry the fence was off while we were working.  We drove around the pasture in the Ranger.  Joel was cold so he was snuggled up in a big blanket and Cecilia spent her time climbing all over the Ranger or following Vincent and I.  As we were finishing up we ran into Craig and Diane.  They helped me pick up some wire that was in the pasture area.  Vincent was working with Craig on something so Diane, Joel, Cecilia and I went to find Brad in the pasture and move the water trough around.  Vincent decided he wanted me so he left Grandpa, without telling him, and took off to find us.  He got a little nervous on his walk and I think Grandpa had to find him and help him find us.  It is a big pasture and with the trees it would be easy to get lost if you were 5 years old.



Vince tying a ribbon on the fence.


Joel staying warm in the Ranger.


We moved the water trough and then Brad had to leave to get back to farming.  At some point he ended up with a few extra minutes and helped me move Ray and Hank to their new pasture.  Brad walked Ray around the whole perimeter of the pasture and I walked Hank around the perimeter.  Brad may have tricked Ray into touching the fence twice, which scared Ray enough that I am confident he won’t try again.  Hank is scared of anything that could possibly be a fence so I wasn’t concerned.


One of my favorite trees.


Lots of grass to eat!


Our pasture and the golf  course.


After Brad left Diane came over so I could go catch Croc and Alasan.  It probably would have gone better if I walked to the farm and grabbed a lead rope, but all I had was a two pieces of a twine string.  The horses were in the back corner of Diane’s pasture.  They couldn’t have been farther away from the barn or me if they tried.  I caught Croc but Alasan wanted nothing to do with me or my twine string.  I gave up, walked Croc around the whole perimeter of the pasture and then walked back to the farm to get a lead rope and Alasan.  I then walked Alasan to and around the new pasture.  Let me tell you we have hills and I got a really great work out that afternoon.


Hank and Ray before they moved to the big pasture.


The East side of our driveway.


The horses are enjoying their new pasture and have learned to navigate all the hills quite well, even at speeds that surprise me!


Joel and Grandpa Craig.




No comments:

Post a Comment