About Me

My photo
I am married to a wonderful man who is my best friend. I have 3 wonderful boys and a little girl who make me laugh everyday. I love my life, even if it is a little crazy from time to time.

Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Bean Harvest


On September 30th we started harvest up around home.  They started in soybeans and Vincent was so excited.  We haven’t done a lot of beans in the last few years and Vincent doesn’t remember riding in the combine while harvesting beans.  Vincent was so excited to go find the combine after school.  


Soybean harvest.


Grain cart filling up semi full of beans.


Uncle Bob and the mechanic.


Joel and Cecilia took over the grain cart while the mechanic was working on the combine.


When we got to the field the combine was stopped and there was a mechanic there.  Talk about disappointment.  After waiting for a little while we gave up and headed back to the car so we could bring Brad some tools he was needing.  Then I saw the combine start up again.  Vincent and I ran to catch Uncle Bob’s attention and Vincent climbed in the combine and went for a ride while the twins and I headed to the bin site to help Brad.

Vincent and Joel...they just looked so cute walking through the field.


Disappointed kids heading to the car since it didn't look like the combine was going to move anytime soon.


Joel patiently waiting for the combine to come give us a ride.


After helping Brad we headed back to the combine to get a short ride and pick up Vincent.  After a long wait in the field ( we played with the beans to pass the time) the twins and I were able to get a ride in the combine too!  It was a little windy that day and I was reminded how dusty beans can be.  I was glad I wasn’t the one having to drive the combine through the dust cloud.



Dumping a load of beans into the pit at the bin site.

Brad checking out something at the bin site.


Our love of beans is dwindling as the season goes on.  Soybean harvest is very slow compared with corn.  I think the only time anyone had fun with soybean harvest is when Birkey's (custom farming operation) helped us harvest beans down south.  More combines mean a faster paced soybean harvest, and oddly more fun for my husband that loves logistics. 



Vincent and Grandpa driving the grain cart.


Joel, Mommy, and Cecilia...to many people for the buddy seat.


Soybeans need to be at 15% moisture when you harvest them because they can be difficult (and dangerous) to run through the dryer.  With the rain/snow we keep having every 5 days lately our beans aren't having time to dry out enough.  With any luck we will get them out this week and then officially be done with soybean harvest and harvest in general!


Joel playing with soybeans.


Combine and grain cart and a lot of dust.


No comments:

Post a Comment