About Me

My photo
I am married to a wonderful man who is my best friend. I have 3 wonderful boys and a little girl who make me laugh everyday. I love my life, even if it is a little crazy from time to time.

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Memorial Day Weekend Part 1

Our Memorial Day weekend wasn't perfect, but it was definitely memorable.  Saturday morning after loading up horses, dogs, kids and all necessary gear we headed to Sand Ridge State Forest south of Peoria.  On our drive we got a call from Discover Card to tell us we had unauthorized activity on our account.  Luckily they caught it within minutes of it happening!  It was less than $100 so I was surprised they caught it so fast.  Once we arrived at the park and helped my in-laws get their motorhome unstuck we set up camp in the rain.

Later that afternoon the rain stopped and we saddled up the horses to go for a ride.  We asked Vince if he wanted to ride Barney, my nephew's 30 year old horse, or ride with Brad or I.  He chose Barney because he didn't want to be squished.  It was the first time he got to ride on a trail by himself, don't worry we led Barney so Vince could concentrate on just sitting on the saddle without falling off.  It was going well until we got lost (the map was back at camp) and Vince was tired of riding.  For the rest of the ride Vince rode with me and Joel rode with Brad.  After realizing we were riding in circles (literally) we decided to let the horses find their way back to camp.  They did an excellent job!  Nothing like turning a first trail ride into a 2 hour ordeal.
Don't worry Mom I am just eating sticks, not playing in the sand
Prewashing in the bucket

Vince teaching Joel to drink water from a horse bucket

1st layer of dirt and sand almost removed

This water is pretty good!

Barney, such a sweetheart

Getting ready to ride Barney

Can't I ride by myself

If Joel is fussing, just put him on a horse and he is quiet!

2 comments: