About Me

My photo
I am married to a wonderful man who is my best friend. I have 3 wonderful boys and a little girl who make me laugh everyday. I love my life, even if it is a little crazy from time to time.

Sunday, March 24, 2013

St. Patrick's Day



Growing up celebrating St. Patrick’s day involved wearing green and pinching those that were not wearing green.  In college it involved drinking.  Between college and this year I don’t think I really even acknowledged the holiday.  Now Vincent is in preschool and I got to learn about leprechaun traps and all the mischief that leprechauns can cause.

One of Vincent’s homework assignments was to build a leprechaun trap.  Vincent’s first question was “What is a leprechaun?” and “Why do we want to catch him?”  Have you ever tried to describe a leprechaun to a 4 year old and sound somewhat intelligent while doing so?  It didn’t work for me.  Thank goodness for Google.  I showed him a picture, sort of explained leprechauns to him and then we read that if you catch one you get three wishes.  We spent bedtime discussing what we would wish for. 

The trap!

The view from the front...there is a mouse trap inside


I appointed Brad as general contractor on the leprechaun trap.  Vincent and Brad each came up with a plan for a leprechaun trap.  Then they combined their ideas and came up with the perfect trap!  It was a really cool trap and they did it all by themselves.  I didn’t help at all!  Vincent brought it to school and set it up and ended up not catching the leprechaun!  

The trap once it is activated

The leprechaun managed to make a mess out of his classroom.  He left green footprints all over, knocked over chairs, spilled the legos and just made a mess!  Vincent thought it was great, even though he didn't catch the leprechaun.  At our house on St. Patrick’s Day we had some green milk.  Vincent told us it was just food coloring and he did not like having green milk with his cereal.  He actually tried it, said it was gross, and refused to eat it!  The leprechaun even put green food coloring in our eggs!  Our very large leprechaun maybe went a little over board with the green dye.  The eggs were really, really green and again Vincent refused to eat them.  He said they tasted funny and I agreed.  Joel wouldn’t touch them either, so Brad and Cecilia ate them and anything they didn’t finish went to the dogs.  The dogs didn’t even clean them up!


What Vincent found when he cracked open the eggs


The boys looking at the green eggs


Trying to figure out which eggs the leprechaun made green.

It was all Brad’s idea to let the leprechaun come to our house.  I don’t think the reaction was great enough to make it worth all the effort or the whining, hungry, kids.  Maybe we will just stick to wearing green and making leprechaun traps if needed.


Vincent cracking open green eggs.


Green scrambled eggs!


No comments:

Post a Comment