Over the last several weeks our new Sunday tradition has been to drive Ray. The fact that we have been having really nice weather and a new wagon has helped a ton. Plus, Brad can usually get Ray ready by himself, while I get the kids ready. Then the kids and I go outside and help hook Ray to the wagon and off we go. The kids and I sit in the back of the wagon and eat snacks and Brad drives. It is relaxing for awhile, but I still have to keep three very active children in a sitting position for an extended period of time by myself. It can be a little stressful. Currently Cecilia is the hardest one to keep still. The other two I can usually keep still if I have snacks.
 |
| Brad and Ray |
 |
| Mommy and Cecilia riding Hank |
 |
| Brad, Grandpa Craig, Tally, Vincent and Joel |
 |
| Tally wanting to join the boys in the wagon |
One weekend Diane and Craig came down and joined us and Grandpa rode in the back with the boys and Diane, Cecilia and I rode horses behind the wagon. I loved that arrangement more than I would have ever thought. It was a lot of fun and everyone can ride close together and easily talk. Usually on trail rides everyone is in a line and it is hard to have a conversation with anyone. Brad loves driving Ray and I think he is ready to just give up riding horses. He says it is a lot easier to harness one horse than to saddle three or more. As much as I like riding in the wagon and having less work, I really enjoy riding and I don't plan on giving it up anytime soon.
 |
| Christina and Karly |
 |
| Ray and Karly |
 |
| Kelli trying to get Ray to eat |
Brad and I never planned on having a draft horse. Growing up I really liked draft horses, but never thought I would own one. Then came senior year of vet school. In February while my friend Christina and I were on our Ambulatory and Reproduction Rotation, a grey Percheron mare named Karly came to the clinic to foal out. She had a history of not doing well toward the end of her pregnancies. She did fine for a little while, then she wouldn't eat, and she laid down a lot, acted depressed and had a high heart rate. Christina, Dr. N., Dr. B. and myself spent a lot of time with that mare. About 2 weeks from her due date she got worse and we couldn't find a heartbeat on the foal with the ultrasound. The owner was not happy with the situation and didn't want to treat any further and opted for euthanasia. None of us were happy about the situation and the owner agreed to let us (Christina and I) have the mare. We unofficially, along with Dr. B and Dr. N, formed the Save the Percheron Society.
 |
| Dr. N. and Kelli |
 |
| Chad, Christina and Ray |
The plan was that Christina was going to take Karly back to NJ if her parents let her or we would try to find her a new home elsewhere. I think Christina's dad was a little more excited about it than Christina's mom. Dr. B and Dr. N induced labor and we were all prepared for a dead foal and our Saturday on clinics would be over later than usual but not a big deal. Then the foal was born and he was alive!
 |
| Karly, Christina, and Ray |
 |
| Karly at our house |
We called the original owner and offered him his mare and foal back but he didn't want them. I offered to keep the foal. I asked Brad and he said it was ok. When he saw the big black foal a day or so later I think he may have regretted saying yes! Ray was ugly and had a few complications because he was a little early and caused Christina and I a lot of sleepless night. After several weeks in the school's equine ward, with a very large fan club, Karly and Ray went to my inlaws barn for a few weeks before we moved them to our house.
 |
| Ray moments after being born. So very ugly |
 |
| And Brad let me keep him! |
Karly left for New Jersey that September and had a great life! Brad quickly fell in love with Ray. I love Ray too, but Ray likes Brad more than he likes me. He always has! When Ray was 2 years old we sent him away for 3 months to be trained and he came back a very well behaved horse. He has a solid mind and will do anything Brad asks (except pick up back feet).
 |
| Ray and Karly |
 |
| Ray, Karly and Bailey |
While I don't completely trust Ray with the kids it is mostly due to his massive size and less because I think he is bad. His head is bigger than my children and if his feet are bigger than a dinner plate. That being said Vince has lead Ray (under supervision) and Ray is an excellent boy for it. Joel has Ray trained not to nibble on him and Cecilia just squawks at him and smacks him in the head. Ray seems to enjoy it. Ray is really apart of our family and we even refer to him as our first son from time to time.
.JPG) |
| Brad walking Ray up a tilt bed trailer, because he can. |
.JPG) |
| Ray did it! |
All that being said, it makes it fun to be able to ride and drive Ray! It brings up a lot of fun memories from vet school and it amazes me that that ugly foal grew to be so handsome and such a loved member of our family. So many people played a part in that and I think they would all be very proud to know that he turned out so well!
 |
| Ray, Cecilia, Joel, Kelli and Vincent |
No comments:
Post a Comment