The Tuesday before Thanksgiving Vincent and I were trying to finish up his homework. We had to read 3 books together and then Vincent needed to draw a picture about each story. He used to not really like doing this activity and it would take forever to complete. Now he really gets into it!
Once of the books we read was about a kid wanting to do chores. Ever since then Vincent has been all about doing chores around the house. The fact that he earns some "coins" for it helps too. We have been handing out fake coins to the kids for good behavior. For every 20 coins you get you can get a prize out of the prize box. You also need to pay a coin to play on Mommy and Daddy's phones, iPad and to watch a movie on Netflix. That is unless Mommy and Daddy need to keep you occupied for some reason (cooking dinner, doctor appointment, etc) then we don't make them pay a coin.
Vince only seems to be interested in chores after dinner time. I can't decided if it is in an effort to stall bedtime or he really likes helping. He likes clearing the table after dinner and several nights he volunteered to set the table and grabbed all needed supplies to do so by himself. His favorite thing to help with is washing the dishes. I don't mind him helping me wash dishes because I don't like washing dishes and he makes it more fun. Brad usually does the dishes at night and I told him Vincent was a good helper, which Brad took as Vincent is good at washing the dishes. Unfortunately that isn't true, Vincent isn't good at washing dishes yet, but he is a really cheerful willing helper. He just needs more practice and training. I think having Vincent help Brad with the dishes was driving Brad crazy. Brad knows that Vincent is young and just learning but Brad has a system and Vincent messes it up a little bit. Brad is being patient with Vincent and before long will be a trained dish washer.
I am hoping this chore phase continues. I think it will once he realizes how much faster he can earn coins!

No comments:
Post a Comment