About Me

My photo
I am married to a wonderful man who is my best friend. I have 3 wonderful boys and a little girl who make me laugh everyday. I love my life, even if it is a little crazy from time to time.

Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Tybee Island Thursday March 30

Once we took Dean to a beach the rest of the time of vacation when Dean would wake up in the morning or have to get ready for the beach he would say "I go beach?!"  The only time we go hand out at a beach on vacation the last few years.  The kids love them.  I am not one for sitting still and doing nothing, even on vacation.  I always thought of beaches as somewhere you go in nice weather to get some sun and lay in a chair and hop in the water once in awhile to cool off.  What we have learned in the last couple years of vacationing near a beach is that you can have fun just playing in the sand, exploring, looking at shells, and watching wildlife even when the water is too cold for swimming.










Team work building a hole
Standing in front of shells that say Stewart 2017 Tybee

digging a hole




Thursday, our last full day in Tybee Island, we spent most of the time at the nearby beach.  It was a day to fit in everything we hadn't done yet on vacation.  It was quiet and you could watch the container ships coming and going into Savannah.  The kids were happy playing on the beach, Brad was happy watching ships and I had fun looking at shells and making words with them in the sand.  I also was finally able to get some picture of the pelicans diving into the water, which I loved watching.  It took a lot of bad pictures to get a couple nice ones.  


















They asked me to record this for them.  I wasn't sure what they were going to say.



I made this last and left it on the beach that night.  High tide washed it up over night.





Getting buried in the sand seems to be something that all the kids like.  It started with Brad burying Cecilia and Dean.  Than at one point during the day the kids dug a huge hole and then Brad had Vincent sit in it criss cross and buried him up to his neck.  Cecilia and Dean helped.  Joel thought it looked like so much fun that he sat on the sand and buried his own legs.  Cecilia and Dean were more than happy to jump in and help.  After they were done with the hole on Brad's suggestion I pretended to be a sea turtle and the kids "hatched" and climbed out of the hole and crawled toward the sea.  


Dean and Cecilia being buried


Add caption













Vincent buried



Trying to dig him out















Pretending to be a momma sea turtle...turtles hatched really fast


Crawling to sea











We also had a chance to play bocce ball on the beach.  Tide was kind of high and we almost lost one of the balls.  There are porch swings all over the beach and I had seen them all week but never got a chance to swing in one.  Cecilia, Dean and I found an empty one and it was so fun to swing and watch the waves and boats.  At one point we were told that the waves from the ship were wicked and to be careful because the waves could knock you over if you were out on a sand bar when the boats went by.  Brad and I were talking and watching 2 ships pass each other (from out point of view it appeared as though they were going to crash head on) all of a sudden the water receded quickly and Brad looked behind me and saw Cecilia out in the water.  He yelled her name and took off toward her.  The way he was acting I thought there was something terribly wrong with her.  I hadn't noticed the sudden change in water level.  Brad realized that a wave from the ship was coming and she was not going to be happy if it knocked her over.  It was amazing how fast that wave came down the shoreline.  Brad and Cecilia were fine, he had a hand on her before the wave came and the water just got their legs wet.







My farmer loved watching the container ships









We went back and forth to the beach a couple times that day.  We attempted to see the sunset but it was cloudy and there wasn't much to see.  We ended the night with a campfire.  We meant to have a couple while we were in camp but we kept forgetting to buy fire wood before the campground office closed for the night.  Thursday we finally remembered!  Dean was so very excited.  I cooked the kids dinner and they ate by the fire.  Brad biked to town and got us dinner.  One last chance to have fresh seafood.  When Dean saw the fire and the found out he got to eat by the fire he excitedly said "Just like in Unbranded!  I eat by the fire like Unbranded!"  Unbranded has been his favorite movie for over a year.  He loves everything about it and they do eat by a fire most nights in the movie.











We all enjoyed our last night in camp! 

No comments:

Post a Comment