About Me

My photo
I am married to a wonderful man who is my best friend. I have 3 wonderful boys and a little girl who make me laugh everyday. I love my life, even if it is a little crazy from time to time.

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Our New Giant Dog

We have a new giant dog!  Ok, she isn't new and she isn't a dog. 

Bristol watching Bailey.  Bailey eating and Brad making a phone call.


Bailey is my (our) 31 year old mare.  A week or so ago she stopped wanting to eat hay.  The grass was starting to come up in the pasture and I think she decided she was going to attempt to survive on that grass alone and she can't really afford to do such a thing.  She needs all the calories she can get.  Brad suggested I start letting her in the yard as much as possible so she can get more grass and hopefully start to gain some weight.  Since Brad inherited Bailey when we got married he has become more and more attached to her and really does like her.  Now when we are going to be home for most of the day the gates across the driveway get shut and Bailey gets let out to eat.  The only horse who seems to care is Ray!  He would love to just roam the yard.  Unfortunately for him I don't trust him not to try and play with the children.


Notice the garage door only partially open to keep Bailey out

Bailey seems to like the new plan!  She has never minded the kids playing.  They drive their Gator, play with water guns and bubbles right by her and she doesn't seem to even notice.  She has tried to eat with them at the little picnic table.  She was hanging her head over Joel's shoulders and trying to eat his fruit snacks.  He kept yelling "No" and kept swinging his arms and trying to hit her.  I finally had to chase her off.


No one wanted to smile for me.  This was prior to Bailey attempting to steal food.


Joel's current favorite toy.  Love this kid!


I was pushing the boys on the swings and she walked right over and decided to eat the grass right in front of the swings.  She ended up getting kicked by Vince not once but 3 times and still didn't move.  She just kept walking closer!  I had to drag her away and she wasn't very happy about it.  I just didn't want anyone to get hurt.


Vince drove between the barn and her head and she never even looked up!

I have a bucket of water sitting out in the yard for Bailey.  However she has decided that she prefers drinking out of the sand/water table instead.  Usually she does this when Joel is trying to play at the table.  Joel likes to drink the water out of the water table too, so I don't mind that she keeps it drained.  Helps me keep clean water in there.

Joel and Vince "working on the Gator"

I love seeing Bailey waiting for me at the gate in the morning, but I feel so bad when I can't let her out because I am going to be gone for the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment