About Me

My photo
I am married to a wonderful man who is my best friend. I have 3 wonderful boys and a little girl who make me laugh everyday. I love my life, even if it is a little crazy from time to time.

Monday, March 5, 2012

Big Winner!

The Awana Club Vince is in hosted a Grand Prix Race on Saturday for the kids.  Starting a couple weeks ago the kids could buy a car kit (and set of rules) and have their parent/grandparent/capable adult help them to build a fast race car.  Brad and I had never done anything like this growing up and we thought Vince would really enjoy it.  We knew Brad would be out of town for the race but he would be able to help Vince build the car and that was going to be half of the fun anyway.


I have no idea what they are doing

Getting ready to paint

Vince decided that he wanted his race car to be Francesco Bernoulli from Cars 2.  Vince and I found several pictures on the internet of Francesco and printed them off to give Brad and Vince a blueprint.  Brad shaped the block of wood like Francesco and then Vince and Brad painted the car together.  Vince did a lot of it with Brad just giving guidance.  I was in charge of getting eyes for it and keeping it safe until the race.  A couple days before the race I asked Grandpa Craig to look at the car and see if there was anything he could do (without breaking the rules) to make it run smoother and hopefully faster.  Grandpa Craig gave us the car the next day and said it was ready to go!


Grandpa, Keith and Vince before the race

Saturday morning my sister Jill, the kids and I headed off to the race.  Grandma Diane, Grandpa Craig and Keith met us there.  After we checked in several people made comments to Vince about how nice Francesco looked.  Vince was all smiles!  In Vince's age group there were 5 kids that brought cars to race.  We were all very impressed with the track that was set up for the race and how organized everything was.


The race course


Just a small collection of the very neat race cars

They raced the cars two at a time and it was a double elimination bracket.  Vince was in the second heat and I was blown away with how fast his car went.  It reached the bottom a couple feet in front of the other cars every time!  It was amazing!  Vince was so excited to win and did a very good job being a gracious winner.  After Vince won the first race I don't know whose smile was bigger his or Grandpa Craig's.  Vince ended up winning 1st place for his age group for speed!  I thought it would be fun to race his car against the winner from the older kids bracket, but we left before we could suggest that.  It probably would have been  inappropriate to have him challenge the older kids anyway.


Vince showing his trophy and car to Grandpa

They had a little awards ceremony and gave trophies for speed and also for design.  For the Cubbies (Vince's age group) there were 3 trophies for speed and 2 for design so each kid went home with a trophy!

5 very proud kids!
We are all very excited now about racing these cars and Grandma Diane suggested it be forced family fun this Christmas!  The problem is the Stewart boys are knows for pushing/breaking the rules from time to time so I am sure there would be a lot of cheating going on.  It would still be a lot of fun!


I couldn't get Vince to stand still at first so this was easier

Humoring Mommy for a picture


Posing on his own!

No comments:

Post a Comment