About Me

My photo
I am married to a wonderful man who is my best friend. I have 3 wonderful boys and a little girl who make me laugh everyday. I love my life, even if it is a little crazy from time to time.

Friday, March 17, 2017

Reading Buddies

Joel's reading skills have really improved in the last couple months.  Just the last couple weeks he is voluntarily reading books in English to us.  He was doing really well reading in Spanish and he refused to read to us in English, and this past week he has been bringing books to us and reading to us!  It is amazing!  Sometimes when he does his reading homework or wants to read to me I can't just sit there next to him and listen.  That sounds bad and neglectful but the kids get home around 4:30 and they get ready for bed at 7:30.  That leaves 3 hours for dinner, homework, playing and any after school activities we have.  I am on my own many nights and can only help with so much homework while I cook dinner and manage the kids (aka keep Dean out of trouble).




Now when Joel needs to read a book I keep him in whatever room I am working in (usually the kitchen) and either Dean or Pete sits by him while he reads.   I am close enough to help with hard words but I can keep us all mostly on task.  Dean usually stays pretty interested in the books and Joel points out every detail in every picture to Dean.  Joel is reading in Spanish most of the time but Dean doesn't seem to care.  I give Pete the stay command and he sits very nicely near Joel "listening" to the book.  Every time Joel says "El Fin" or "the end" Pete gets up and walks away and finds me.  Usually there are multiple books that get read at a time so Pete has to be told to go back and sit down.  I think he is starting to think "the end" means he is finished with his sit-stay.



The other day Vincent found a book and wanted to read it to all of the kids so he told them all to get on the couch so they could see the pictures while he read.  They looked so adorable all reading together!  

No comments:

Post a Comment