At the end of last year we found out one of Joel's therapists (one of the one's I liked) was retiring. The one I didn't like was leaving, I was so happy! And with the disbanding of the special ed co-op we wouldn't know until the beginning of the school year who Joel was getting for therapists and a case manager. I was a little worried. I finally got to meet all of his therapists face to face at the IEP meeting. All 3 seem to be wonderful people who truly like Joel, want to help Joel and appreciate his quirks. Combine that with a teacher who is a really good fit for Joel and we have an all star team this year. The IEP meeting was relaxed, friendly, and Brad and I really felt like they were all on Joel's team. I walked out of there happy and not grumbling which isn't always the case after one of those meetings. I told Brad that I wish we could keep that team for many years!
A way to keep family and friends updated on our family and farming.
About Me
- Kelli
- I am married to a wonderful man who is my best friend. I have 3 wonderful boys and a little girl who make me laugh everyday. I love my life, even if it is a little crazy from time to time.
Saturday, March 18, 2017
A Great IEP Meeting
We are relatively new to the world of IEPs and the meetings that go along with them. This is only our 4th year dealing with it. I have sat in on 5 meetings at 3 different schools for Joel. After the first meeting at the first school I was scared for my son's education and I basically told Brad we had to move into a new school district. We moved a few months later. The next two years with preschool IEPs was not a big deal. The people were nicer than the first school district and the program was better and Joel was doing well so the meetings were not bad. In kindergarten we had some issues and the very long 3 year review. It was a new school, new therapists, new teachers and Joel was struggling to adjust at first. Plus the teacher was reluctant to listen to my tidbits about Joel and his learning. I don't blame her because I am sure many parents say the things I did about Joel listening even if he isn't making eye contact and Joel understanding but taking a long time to respond and a few other things. I am sure parents make their kids out to be better than they really are. She didn't know me yet and didn't know that I am honest about my kids especially when it comes to areas they need help in. I don't blame her. I have clients stretch the truth about their pets at appointments and say things like "oh they never bite" or "oh they would never get into the trash" or "they only get table scraps once a month" and most of the time I don't believe them. Plus in kindergarten we had a therapist I wasn't impressed with. It made for a long year, but Joel showed the teacher that what I said about him was true and she became a valued member of his team.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment