About Me

My photo
I am married to a wonderful man who is my best friend. I have 3 wonderful boys and a little girl who make me laugh everyday. I love my life, even if it is a little crazy from time to time.

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Farming thru the Weekend


Let me preface this with as a general rule we don't farm on Sundays, but when we are behind we do make exceptions.  Sunday after church the kids and I met up with Brad in the field.  None of us had seen him in person for 6 days, we all wanted rides in the sprayer, and Brad wanted lunch.  Brad had been down south farming and that means I am left in charge back home.  It turns out we weren’t the only farming family to not see our husband/daddy very much last week.  I know there are plenty of farm wives that are in the field too!  In the matter of 1 week (May 12-19th) Illinois went from having 17% of the corn acres planted to 74%!  The average for the last 4 years is 77%, so we are getting caught up.  What that all translates to is a lot of people working a lot of long hours in the field to make sure we all have food.  If those families are anything like ours it also means a lot of spouses having to put in a lot more work at home to take care of the animals, kids, house, etc on their own while planting is going on.  I love being married to a farmer, I don’t mind helping in the field or maintaining the home front while Brad is away, but it is not easy.  You definitely get a feel for what it is like to be a single parent.


Cecilia hanging out and eating lunch.  Lunch in the field means eating out of the truck.


Sprayer tender truck



Lee, Brad and the kids at lunch time


Vincent and Brad


I left Joel with Brad while I went to town to get all of us and Lee lunch.  Lee is Brad’s right hand man during the spraying season.  He drives the tender truck, works crazy hours with Brad, and while they are in Farmer City he is in charge of making sure Brad has food.  Joel has never taken a ride in any farm implement for more than 20 minutes.  Unless he happens to fall asleep he just hasn’t been at an age where he could sit still that long and only once or twice without me going with him.  He likes to press buttons and would take one person to drive the equipment and one to keep Joel from touching buttons.  While  I went to grab lunch Brad and Joel took off in the field to spray.  The thing with the sprayer is Brad usually only stops to fill up which means you are stuck for about 30 minutes and more if Mommy isn’t back from getting lunch.  Joel ended up being in the sprayer 45-60 minutes.  Brad was in the middle of a tank when he stopped to get Joel.  Joel was all smiles when he got out of the sprayer and he was mad that he didn’t get a second turn, so I am guessing he enjoyed it.  Vincent also got to take a ride in the sprayer and he loves it!  He is at a great age for riding along for extended periods of time.



Cecilia and Daddy...she was not happy she didn't get a ride



The sprayer filling up


Sprayer going across the field





Cecilia and I didn’t get to ride in the sprayer and neither one of us were very happy about it.  I didn’t throw a fit like Cecilia, mostly because I like riding in the sprayer the best when Brad is spraying fungicide.  The only way we were going to get a ride was if all 5 of us piled into the sprayer and I just didn’t feel up for that.  Brad was working on the far end of the field by then and we would have been stuck in there for a while.  Plus Cecilia still puts her mouth on everything and that isn’t the best idea when you are on/in farm equipment. 



Vincent telling Joel not to go by the electric fence and Joel getting ready to tackle Vincent


Love the expressions on their faces!!


In between fields Brad took a little detour.  I was supposed to be giving him a ride to his car so he could move it to the next field, but I detoured through McDonald’s for ice cream.  Brad, the boys and I all got cones.  Cecilia wished she had her own cone.  I was driving so Brad was on mess control.  He kept trading kids cones and eating theirs to keep them from dripping all over.  He would also let Cecilia have a little bit.  Once he helped both the boys he would go back to his own cone and then start over helping the boys and sharing with Cecilia.  It was cracking me up!  He probably ended up eating more than 1 ice cream cone.

 
Joel and Vincent


My three monkeys!


Momma and her monkeys



Then once we were back at the farm we convinced Brad to give us a ride on the gator back to the woods.  We played around there for 30 minutes or so and then the kids and I headed home while Brad when back to spraying.  If Brad didn’t take some time to see us he would have been home earlier but the kids would have been getting ready for bed.  Since the kids missed him so much we decided seeing the kids while they were awake and happy was the best plan.


Joel and Cecilia stealing the Gator



A great climbing tree...Joel went a little too high



Joel looking at the camera!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment