About Me

My photo
I am married to a wonderful man who is my best friend. I have 3 wonderful boys and a little girl who make me laugh everyday. I love my life, even if it is a little crazy from time to time.

Thursday, May 2, 2013

Bitty Basketball



Vincent was in Bitty Basketball at his school.  It is for kids in preschool thru 4th grade (I think).  They have 4 practices and 3 games.  It is not a huge commitment which I love, but Vincent still gets to experience a sport and being on a team.  It is the first time he has ever played a sport.  His team is made up of kindergartners and preschoolers and two very patient coaches.  This weekend was our last game and just like the first two games it was entertaining.  We have two kids on our team who are really good and can actually make baskets.  The net is 8 feet tall and the rest of the kids struggle with actually getting a basket.  Vincent never comes close!

 
Vincent telling his friend something


Vincent practicing dribbling



While in my head I understand that this is a learning league and most of these kids (including my own) have not played basketball very much, it takes everything I have not to get after Vincent for not paying attention or goofing around on the court or not watching the ball.  I don’t care if he is the best basketball player around but I at least want to see some good effort.  I have controlled my tongue and I have refrained.  I tell him that he is really working hard and to remember to listen to his coaches and watch the ball.  I don’t want him to not like the sport before he really knows much about it because his mom is a psycho about sports and is going to get after him for not doing it right.  A good lesson in self control for me.


Vincent dribbling


Vincent catching a pass.


Growing up my dad helped coach us in sports whether officially for the team or unofficially at home, and he wasn’t always nice about it.  It all came from his heart and he truly thought we had talent and took the time to help us, which I am grateful for.  However, sometimes he got a little carried away and the sport lost a little of the fun aspect.  By nature my whole family is competitive and we can’t help that, so we just embrace it and move on.  



Vincent and Lily


Vincent passing the ball


Vincent watching us and not paying attention.

While I was having this internal struggle in my head of getting after Vincent to pay more attention and focus a little more or just let him have fun because he is only 4 years old and it is the first time he has ever played a sport; I thought to myself….I am my father!  Oh dear!  It is a blessing and a curse all at once.  I do have to confess that when we got home from the last game, after Vincent was showing me his trophy for the 10th time, I told him that the trophy was nice but it was only for participating.  I then explained the difference between participating and winning.  He has a trophy from winning a race with this race car last year, so we had something to compare to which was helpful.  Who does that?!  Me, because I think he needs to know the difference.  Just to clarify, Brad feels the same way I do and has also done a great job showing some self control.  Oh, our poor children...they have so many sporting years ahead of them and I don't know how long we can exhibit self control when it comes to coaching  :)


He wasn't the only kid that didn't always pay attention. 



Vincent trying to make a basket


Getting a rebound


Basketball practice was once a week.  While Vincent was practicing Joel, Cecilia and I took the opportunity to play at the park.  They love the bridge, tire swing, swings and Joel loves the slides and climbing rope wall thing.  Each week he is able to climb a little higher.  They both miss basketball practice too!  When we pulled into the parking lot to get Vincent this week Joel was yelling “Play basketball!  Play basketball! I play!  I play!” 


Joel in the top of a castle




Cecilia and the tire swing...she loves it!



Cowboy Joel on the rope climbing wall thing...not sure what it is actually called


No comments:

Post a Comment