About Me

My photo
I am married to a wonderful man who is my best friend. I have 3 wonderful boys and a little girl who make me laugh everyday. I love my life, even if it is a little crazy from time to time.

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Packing and Day 1 of the 2012 Family Roadtrip


We went on vacation and had a lot of adventures, so there are going to be a lot of posts about vacation!
 

Brad our fearless driver

We have spent the last few months talking about where and when to go on vacation.  We settled on the end of July.  We planned on going to Niagara Falls, Connecticut to visit Brad's cousin (Amanda, Matt and Winston), then to New Jersey to visit my friend Christina and her family, and then back home.  


Vince was the navigator for a good portion of the trip

Our plan was to leave on a Saturday around noon, but on Friday I decided 2 pm sounded better.  But when I work on Thursday and Friday it makes it really hard to pack and be ready to leave at a decent time on Saturday.  The fact that I needed to do a few extra things like get shorts for myself (I thought having more than 2 pairs would be helpful) and making sure everything was ready for our house sitter, and running my last run in the couch to 5K program added to the giant list of things we needed to do before we left.


Mommy and  Cecilia

We got on the road around 3pm, but better late than never!  We made it to about 1 hour east of Cleveland, OH.  It was a super easy, peaceful drive!  The kids slept part of it, played with their toys for a little while, watched a movie, and we ate dinner on the road.  We spent the night in a Home Depot parking lot.  The great news was it by a IHOP, Target, and Texas Roadhouse.  Unfortunately we were too late for the Texas Roadhouse.  I was excited to go to IHOP for breakfast and Brad and I needed to pick up a few things at Home Depot and Target the next day.


Joel taking his turn as navigator!

Since we were in a parking lot we couldn’t really put our slide outs out.  No big deal, but that means there is no room for the pack n play and between that and not having a safety bed rail for the top bunk bed (we moved it to the bottom for Joel).  Brad and Vince ended up in the back bed, Cecilia and I turned the table into a bed and Joel had a bunk bed to himself.  Until 5 am when he joined Cecilia and I.  Three people in a twin sized bed is really not that comfortable. 


Brad resting on the dinette bed...he is too tall for it

 
Cecilia securing her corner of the bed


Sleeping in the motorhome is always a challenge for Joel the first night or two, so the night before we left Joel and Brad camped in the shed.  Joel went right to sleep and had no problems.  The first night on actual vacation didn’t go as well.  Joel wouldn’t stay in the bottom bunk.  We have a sliding door that closes off the bunk area from the front of the motorhome (but there is probably a 6-9 inch gap between the floor and the bottom of the door, so we closed that door and waited to see what happened.  Brad told me that Joel could crawl under the door and he was right.  As I sat at the table and watch Joel started by getting out of his bed.  Laying on the floor and tapping his fingers on the floor on his side of the door.   

The truck appears

Then a truck was pushed under the door and then Joel appeared.  The second his little head cleared  the door he said “hello!”  Out of no where Brad was up and on the floor in front of Joel telling him to go back and making him retreat the same way he came out.  It happened a few times and then we started using Cecilia’s bumbo seat as a blockade.  The whole episode only lasted 10 minutes and after a few nights Joel did much better.  By the end of the trip he would just lay in bed talking to himself until he fell asleep.  Vince was on the bunk above him and did such a great job ignoring Joel's antics.

Joel making his appearance

No comments:

Post a Comment