About Me

My photo
I am married to a wonderful man who is my best friend. I have 3 wonderful boys and a little girl who make me laugh everyday. I love my life, even if it is a little crazy from time to time.

Monday, August 6, 2012

FV 2012: Erie Canal


On Day five (July 25) we packed up and headed to our next destination, the Erie Canal in Lockport, NY.  We took a tour of the locks which included an underground tour where we walked in a tunnel system that was part of the water speedway that created hydroelectric power for 3 factories that were along the Erie Canal.

Erie Canal...the older side before updates were made
 





Erie Canal...newer side (still pretty old)

Our guide first explained the locks to us and a little bit of the history behind the locks.  Currently they are used for recreation only and no cargo.  Then we headed down to see where the 3 factories were located.  Then we went into the man made tunnel they used to send water in to the 3 different factories from the Erie canal.  The tunnel was made about 90 years ago.  When the tunnel was functioning water raced through there at 25 mph and the tunnel was about 12-13 feet in diameter.  There were different gates to directed it to the different factories.


I just liked the sign

Brad, Joel and the Erie Canal

Neat old bridge...Vince loves old bridges but after seeing so many on the vacation I don't think he cares that much anymore

Site of third factory.  Opening to the tunnel.

At the end of the tour we took a little boat ride in the tunnel.  During the boat ride Vince didn’t stop talking, although he was trying to be quiet.  However Cecilia started smiling and looking at him and he couldn’t stop talk to her.  He kept saying “coochie, coochie, coo.  Oh, Cecilia you love me don’t you.  You just love me soooo much.  Cecilia I won’t ever let you go.  I will always be with you. I will go everywhere with you!”  She loved it and would smile more, Vince would repeat himself and give her a big hug, I would try not to laugh and just hoped they weren’t distracting anyone too much.


Vincent


Joel and Daddy

Proof that Cecilia was with us and opening to tunnel


Inside

On the way out of the tunnel we were heading up the stairs and back to our RV and stopped at a little museum along the away.  When we left the museum we saw a boat starting to go through the canal.  We ran out of the museum and up to watch the locks work.  We were able to watch the whole process.  The kids sort of liked the whole experience but it was Joel’s nap time when it started so he was not so pleasant for the whole thing, but all things considered he wasn’t too bad.


The boys

The girls

Pretty picture


After the tour we head back to the RV and headed toward the Robert H. Treman State Park.  It is at the southern tip of one of the Finger Lakes.  The drive was spectacular.  There were rolling hills, wineries, gorgeous lakes, and wonderful looking little towns.  The boys slept through most of it and I was glad because then I could sit and enjoy the scenery and talk with Brad. 


Gates closing behind boats


Water starting to raise the boats


Getting higher


Gates opening to let boats through


It was after 7pm when we got there and they told us to just park in any available campsite and register in the morning.  After we unpacked Brad and the boys headed out to find a park to play.  Vince rode his tricycle and Brad rode his bike with Joel in the bike trailer.  We didn't know where a park was, so I was sure that if it was far Vince would be riding back in the bike trailer with Joel.  I was wrong, Vince rode his bike to the park and back and there was a small hill along the way he needed to navigate.  When they got back it was time for dinner and bed.  Unfortunately we are really good at going to bed late on vacation and it was after 10:30 pm when they finally went to sleep.  On the bright side everyone slept in until after 8:30 am which is just fabulous!


Off they go!  Cecilia and I enjoyed some quiet time to get dinner ready.

Slow and steady.  That's what Vince sings over and over as he rides his bike.


No comments:

Post a Comment