About Me

My photo
I am married to a wonderful man who is my best friend. I have 3 wonderful boys and a little girl who make me laugh everyday. I love my life, even if it is a little crazy from time to time.

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

FV 2012: Robert Treman State Park

After breakfast the boys (Brad included) took Cecilia and I to see the park they played at the night before.  Vince rode his tricycle the whole way and did pretty well.  He just pedaled at a ridiculously slow pace which surprised me.  He kept saying “slow and steady, slow and steady, slow and steady” as he pedaled.  A couple people commented on his tricycle and told him they liked it.   Vince told me we should buy them one just like his so they would be happy.

Relaxing in the camper


Happy Joel!



The park was really small.  It had 2 seesaws, a jungle gym and swings.  The kids didn’t seem to mind and had fun running from activity to activity.  The boys were getting a little too brave and jumping down between the jungle gym bars and hanging.  Sometime their little hands didn’t quite have the grip and they would come crashing down to the ground.  We tried to prevent it as much as possible, but we weren’t always as fast as the boys.  As I watched the boys and a group of girls play on the seesaws it occurred to me how dangerous those things can actually be.  When I was a kid I never gave it a thought but as I watched all the kids play on them and pile more and more kids on them and walk across them I found myself cringing a little bit.



Joel insisted on wearing his backpack in the bike trailer



Brad trying to get a foot on the tricycle so he could help slow Vince down on the hill

Climbing

It turns out the park we were at has a lot of great hiking trails that would take you to Lucifer Falls.  Most of which were 1-3 miles one way and not big easy paths made for strollers.  I only brought one of our baby carriers on the trip (bad move on my part) so one of us could carry Cecilia in the carrier, but if the boys got tired Brad and I would be carrying them.  My guess is Vince would have made it one way but begged to be carried back and Joel would have made it half way there and then needed to be carried.  Several times during the trip so far I have already carried Cecilia in the carrier/pouch with Vince on my shoulders.  It is fun for about 5 minutes on flat ground.  We opted to not hike and leave and head toward Cooperstown and The National Baseball Hall of Fame.


Vince just hanging around



Vince was so excited to get to the park he didn't take off his helmet right away


Brothers...Vince wouldn't take his helmet off for some reason
My climber was in heaven on the jungle gym!


When Brad was checking in/out at the State Park the ranger really recommended that we at least go and look at the swimming area before we left.  She convinced us that it was a good idea so we changed into our swimming suits and headed to the swimming hole.  It was amazing!  A waterfall feeds  a natural pool complete with a bridge, life guards, and a diving board in the deep end.  The only problem was the water was 71 degrees.  

Vincent



Joel swinging

The boys and I went into the water and checked it out.  Brad was kind enough to watch and keep an eye on Cecilia, but I really think when he saw the water temperature on the sign he wanted no part of it.  Joel didn’t seem to mind that it was cold at first but after awhile he was much happier sitting in the stroller by Brad and Cecilia.  Vince really wanted to swim and use his new swimming skills, but the cold water was making it so hard for him.  You could just tell he wanted to get in but he just didn’t want to be cold.  So back and forth we went between different swimming areas.  



No one seemed to care that the water was freezing


The swimming hole

Mommy and her boys


I got tired of Vince not wanting to get in, not that I blame him, wading into the water was border line torture.  After crossing the bridge a few times and watching people go off the diving board I decided I had to go on the diving board before we left.  I couldn’t tell people about the greatest swimming spot ever and then say, “No I didn’t swim in the water or use the diving board.”  On the first day of our drive Vince said “Daddy and I are going to do all the fun stuff and Mommy is going to do all the boring stuff on vacation.”  I was going to show him that wasn’t true.  


Vince was not happy that I jumped off the diving board and I am not sure why

waterfall, diving board and lifeguards

I waited in line with some kids and a few of their dads.  Most of the moms were standing on the side of the pool cameras in hand.  As I walked on the board I thought to myself “I hope I don’t regret this”.  I love to swim but I hate swimming in cold water.  I jumped in and did a cannonball.  Brad didn't take pictures just a video and it wasn't worth downloading!  The water was freezing but it felt so refreshing and great!  I would have gone several more times, but then Vince decided he really was going to swim.  Back to the shallow water we went and Vince got right in and swam for 20-30 minutes and had a lot of fun.


Brad entertaining Joel and Cecilia

Vince so proud that he was swimming "all by himself"


I told Brad that I would be more than happy to watch all the kids so he could jump off the diving board but he declined my offer several times, even when I told him how much fun and how refreshing it was.  So we left, loaded up into the RV, and headed out.  On our way out we saw a huge and very cool looking park.  We chose not to point it out to the kids and just keep driving!  We were headed to Cooperstown and The National Baseball Hall of Fame.


Me watching Vince swim.

Vince a little unsure about the water temp

No comments:

Post a Comment