About Me

My photo
I am married to a wonderful man who is my best friend. I have 3 wonderful boys and a little girl who make me laugh everyday. I love my life, even if it is a little crazy from time to time.

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Cramming for School


Vince started Preschool on Wed August 22nd.  When we were checking out the school’s preschool program in the spring I had asked the teacher what kind of stuff Vince needed to know when he came to preschool and if he needed to be able to write his name.  She said no and that they will start off by just tracing their name.  Vince knew how to trace letters and was pretty good at it, so I didn’t think anything of it.


The Friday before school started we went to meet his teacher for the year.  Before we went in I asked Vince what he wanted the teacher to call him and he said “Vincent.”  I had written Vince on all the paperwork thinking that was the name he wanted to go by.  They had completely revamped their preschool program and had all new teachers.  The teacher told us that she was going to have the kids write their name in a book every day and we would see the progress throughout the year.  Sounded great but I panicked a little.  Vince had no idea how to write his name and gets really turned off from an activity if he can’t do something perfectly right away.    The last thing I wanted was for him to have a melt down in the first few minutes of the first day of school.  


From Saturday until Tuesday we crammed for preschool.  I made worksheets with his name on them for him to trace and made him write his name several times a day.  He couldn’t get the “e” perfect the first time and messed up the “V” and he was having a rough time.  I had to explain to him that some things take practice and you can’t be perfect the first time at everything.  As long as you are trying really hard it is ok.  Vincent wanted someone to practice with him.  Brad volunteered and I made him a sheet with his name on it, so he could practice writing.  Brad used his left hand and “messed up” a couple times.  Vince was quick to tell him it was ok and he just needed to keep practicing!


The first time Vincent every wrote his name by himself!


The problem is that Vincent doesn't like to practice anything over and over.  On Monday afternoon he didn't want to practice anymore and I had to start bribing him.  Unfortunately for me he no longer was willing to work for jelly beans.  Being the wonderful (desperate) parent I am I said "if you write your name by yourself you can have a bowl of ice cream."  After I said it I knew I should have said a bit of ice cream or 1 scoop!  A whole bowl, was I crazy??!!  It worked!  He sat down and wrote his name by himself.


All the practice paid off on the first day of school!  Vince wrote his name and was very excited about it.  Now to just get his letters a little bit smaller.  It will all come in time, but we do need to start practicing writing other letters too.


No comments:

Post a Comment