About Me

My photo
I am married to a wonderful man who is my best friend. I have 3 wonderful boys and a little girl who make me laugh everyday. I love my life, even if it is a little crazy from time to time.

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

FV 2012: New Jersey!


After the fabulous meal that Matt and Winston cooked us for breakfast (eggs, sausage, biscuits and gravy!) we head for the next leg of our trip…New Jersey.  We were on our way to visit my friend Christina (I met her in vet school) along with her husband Hunter and their son Charlie (9 months).  I hadn’t seen them since their wedding day a couple of years ago.



Joel and Winston

Cecilia, Brad and Winston


Matt reading to Vince



Joel saying goodbye to Winston


Christina had given me directions to use as we got closer because the route the GPS would send us would put us on a winding road that would not be good for the motorhome.  As we got closer the kids were asking for food and a movie and I, being a terrible navigator, had no idea how close we were to Christina’s.  I forgot about the directions she gave me until we got off at the exit the GPS suggested.  Brad was not happy, especially as we started driving down a long narrow winding road with low wires and trees everywhere.  To make matters worse with all the winding roads it gets confusing as the road winds around if you are on a new road or turning off onto another road.  That is what happened when I got us off track completely from the GPS and on a little narrow road that ran along a river to a small town with a very steep hill and stop sign at the top of the hill.  The tension in the motor home was so thick you could cut it with a knife.  By the time we got to Christina’s Brad wanted to kill me!  Actually that night he said “you are lucky your friends are so nice otherwise I really would have wanted to kill you!”  Although he couldn't say it with a straight face!  That is probably the most upset I have ever seen him with me.  He was so mad he couldn’t even talk to me.  And all I could do was try not to laugh!  Which wasn't helping the situation.  As we drove around Christina’s area he realized that almost every road is twisty and has low branches.  However, I completely screwed up by not paying closer attention to the directions Christina gave me!  


Christina's road


Trying to find a leak


This is definitely going to take more than an hour!


You see, I don’t mind navigating if it is my only job.  When I am trying to keep 3 kids happy and entertained and getting Brad food/drinks that he needs it makes it hard for me to focus on navigating.  Plus even if it is my only job I tend to get bored and I find something else to do, like write blog posts and then I don’t pay as much attention as I should to everything.  I feel like if I tell you the next step in the directions you should be able to follow it and then ask for the next direction.  Apparently that is not how it really works in this motorhome.


Cute bridge


As we were getting closer to Christina’s she told me that there was a leak in their water main going towards their house.  The people were there fixing it and said it would only take an hour and in the mean time we could park down the road from their house.  That is what we did and while their water main was getting fixed we took a walk to the park.  They live in an adorable little town.  It is probably about the size of our small town, but theirs is really cute and quaint.  It has a neat bridge, little shops that are actually open, nice older houses that have been fixed up and nice people.  The landscape is also amazing with all the hills which makes it look even better.



Cecilia, Brad, Vince and Hunter (Vince's new best friend for a couple days)



Napping at the park



Charlie chilling at the park!


After we (the adults and Vince) played at the park (Joel was sleeping) we went to the creek and Brad, Hunter and Vince skipped rocks or at least tried to while Christina and I talked.  Vince really wanted to fish so on the way back we stopped by a little fishing store.  According to the hours posted on the door they were closed, but the door was open, so the guys and Vince went in to ask if we could get worms.  When they got in there Vince asked for worms, apparently in a really cute voice and said please.  The store clerk was nice enough to sell them the worms so they could go fishing the next day.


Brad trying the balance beam with Cecilia's help


Vince off exploring


Christina navigating the park


By the time we got back the workers were just finishing up with their repairs and we went inside to have dinner.  Most of dinner was cooked on the grill and it was delicious.  They made sweet corn and it was cracking Brad up that the first time we have had sweet corn this year was in New Jersey!  We live in the land of corn but we had to drive 14 hours to eat sweet corn.  Christina also made dessert that was fantastic.  Actually on the way home the next day Brad kept talking about how good all the food was the Christina made and how I needed to get the recipes!  I agreed with him and sent her an email on our drive home to get a couple of the recipes from her.




Brad forcing Vince in the water

Vince and Hunter enjoying the water and skipping rocks


Joel loved Hunter's hat and wore it most of the day

No comments:

Post a Comment