About Me

My photo
I am married to a wonderful man who is my best friend. I have 3 wonderful boys and a little girl who make me laugh everyday. I love my life, even if it is a little crazy from time to time.

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Update on the dogs

Last week two of my mom's dogs (who are sisters) unknowingly got into rat poison.  My parents don't keep any on their property, but the dogs wander occasionally and apparently one of their neighbors do keep poison around.  Both dogs were pretty sick.  I wasn't really sure they were going to live.  Both the dogs ended up getting a blood transfusion last week.  One at the clinic and one in my basement.  The basement wasn't ideal but it was New Year's Eve and I had no desire to sit at the clinic for 4 hours doing a blood transfusion.  Plus my mom was more than happy to come play with the boys while my sisters and I dealt with the dogs.  I had never done a blood transfusion in a dog before but by the end of the weekend I was feeling pretty confident.  Tally (my mother in laws dog) donated blood to one of the dogs and our dog Bristol (Tally's full sister) donated to the other dog.  My mom's two dogs are also sisters so 2 sisters donated blood to save 2 other sisters.  It has been a little over a week and both of my mom's dogs are doing well!  I was pretty sure at least one wasn't going to make it and I am very happy to be wrong.  The blood donors are doing well too.

Maisy our other dog is feeling pretty sorry for herself these days.  She tore her other cruciate at the beginning of December.  I was disappointed because she had only been back to full excersize from the first surgery for about 2 weeks when she hurt her good leg.  She spent the rest of December as a nearly permanent fixture on the corner of the couch.  She usually sleeps upstairs with us at night but after she hurt her leg she just stayed downstairs on the corner of the couch.  A friend of mine did surgery on her on Monday to fix her leg!  I am so grateful to have such a talented friend who was willing to do surgery on my dog last minute.  Thanks Erin!  Maisy is not happy about cage rest or her e-collar.  Vince went over to the kennel tonight and told her "Its ok Maisy.  You just have to wear your cone because you lick at your leg."  Give her a few weeks and she will be feeling much better!

1 comment: