Brad and I are pretty careful about what we say in front of the boys. We have learned (sometimes the hard way) that what we say will come back to haunt us if we are not careful. For example I used to tell Vince, when he wasn't even 2 yet, that he looked sexy in his sunglasses, I didn't say it all the time, just a few times. He then started calling sunglasses "sexies" and then would occassionally tell people that were wearing sunglasses that they were "sexy." Funny sometimes, less so when he says it to one of his girl cousins!
Vince got a Leap Pad for Christmas and loves it. The game he likes to play can frustrate him from time to time. When it does I hear him make a "grrr" noise. The same noise I make when I hurt myself or get frustrated with something.
Another thing I say instead of a number of 4 letter words is "geezy petes", "deary pete", or "for the love of pete." Occassionally Vince asks me who Pete is and I tell him I have no idea and that maybe it is his next brother and then he just laughs and tells me "no." The other day he was using the toilet and apparentally not paying enough attention to what he was doing and completely missed the toilet. All I heard from the bathroom was "grr deary petes!"
The other night Brad and Vince were racing around the house (a new nightly ritual) and Vince was tackling Brad to the ground. I am not completely sure what happened but I heard Vince call Brad a loser. Brad had to keep a straight face. I was behind the couch playing with Joel so I was able to laugh quitely. I finally pulled it together and told Vince that I didn't like that word and it wasn't nice to say. I went on to tell him that when you win you need to be nice about it and you can't call the other person a loser. I was worried he heard Brad or I say that (we are really competitive), but like I said before we are pretty careful what we say in front of the kids. I actally never thought I would mind hearing the word loser, but the tone and attititude that accompanied it coming out of a 3 year olds mouth was too much for Brad or me. I asked Vince where he learned that word and he replied "At Grandma Diane's house the boy in that movie said it." You could hear Brad breath a sigh of relief! I am not sure what movie he is talking about but I don't think Vince will be watching it again anytime soon once I figure out which one it is.
It makes me laugh hearing things come out of Vince's mouth and knowing that it is something Brad and I have said to him. At least I know he is listening to us even if he doesn't always follow directions!

No comments:
Post a Comment