As much as the boys and I like just bumming rides in the combine and tractors during harvest, I really enjoy actually being able to help as well. Sometimes it is just grabbing lunch for everyone, or helping move vehicles around, running for parts or helping move equipment around. Running to get parts is not my favorite thing to do. I always either have to wait for a long time for the part to be ready (lots of fun with the kids) or I have to answer questions about what we need and usually end up sounding stupid. This trip did not require any parts runs!
 |
| Sleeping on the job |
Getting lunch for everyone is something I do, but I don't always enjoy. When I cook food I don't mind serving it and saying this is what is for lunch. When I stop somewhere to get lunch for everyone (which I did do on Monday) I just hate making decisions for everyone. I always worry they won't like what I picked out, then I tell myself they will just be happy to have something to eat. They may not necessarily be true, but hopefully it is the case. Monday when I got lunch it was late when I stopped and then it took awhile to get the food so by the time I got to the field I am pretty sure they were too hungry to care what I was bringing for lunch as long as it was edible.
 |
| Switching fields |
Helping move vehicles and equipment around is probably one of my more favorite things to do, besides actually driving the grain cart. I just feel like we are actually being helpful in the whole operation. (Yes I realize keeping the guys nourished so they can operate the equipment is helpful). Monday Brad used my truck to move the corn head to a new field south of town and asked me to drive the tractor to the next field. I haven't really driven a tractor in a couple years (for more then a few minutes) and not on the road in close to 4 years. I was doing fine until I would notice cars behind me. I was just hoping they would pass before I had to make a turn. Driving the tractors used to stress me out a lot! I used to tell Brad I would rather spay a large, obese, old dog than drive a tractor because it is less stressful, since then I have become much more comfortable with driving tractors and I actually enjoy it quite a bit. As our trip to the new field came to an end I was feeling pretty comfortable and was wishing I could just keep driving around. I don't think anyone would have appreciated that because we already had a line of semi trucks waiting to get loaded and it would have taken a lot longer if they were short a tractor and grain cart.
 |
| Waiting for their next load of grain |
No comments:
Post a Comment