For the last couple weeks Brad keeps mentioning going to a corn maze. Sunday after church and running errands we decided it was too nice of a day to just go home. So we took our children (who really needed naps) to a pumpkin patch that had corn pits for the kids to play in, animals to pet, hayrides, a bean maze and a corn maze.
Vince loved the corn pit area and Joel wasn't a big fan. The corn was inside of large plastic tanks and the tanks were connected by tubes the kids could crawl in. It was kind of like a giant hamster habitat. Vince was quick to take his shoes off and jump in and start talking to the kids. Every 5-10 min I would peak in and check on him and he was always having fun and telling me about all his friends. At one point I saw that he had crawled into an area where he was the only kid. I thought it would be my chance to get him out without him crying about leaving his friends. Before I could get close enough to reach him I heard him shout "Who wants to come in the fun room?!" and less than 30 seconds later he had 4 friends join him. I was amazed at his leadership skills.
Joel didn't care much for the corn pit area but loved the animals that were near by. There were chickens and a pot bellied pig running around and some other animals in pens as well. Joel loved the chickens and pig and just kept walking over to them and talking to them. He was all smiles!
After awhile we pulled the kids away from the corn and animals and headed to the corn maze. The girl working at the maze showed us which way was the entrance and which way we were supposed to come out and told us that it takes most people about 20 min. There was no picture of the maze at the beginning and no maps. The boys were excited and both walked on their own for awhile. Vince was leading us and I made sure we weren't backtracking. After about 10 minutes Joel wanted to be carried and Brad and I took turns carrying him. Another 15 minutes later we were still in the maze and now Vince was getting tired and asking to be carried. It was at this point that Brad took over leading for awhile. 10 minutes later Vince started asking to be carried again, I felt like we were walking in circles and I was getting tired. I do not like feeling trapped or stuck and I was pretty sure we were going to be stuck in the maze forever. I was almost ready to just make my own path out! I turned to Brad and said "I need out of here now." Brad picked up Joel and Vince and I followed along behind Brad. Brad was walking pretty fast so Vince had to run part of the time to keep up. Another 10 min more and we were finally out of the maze. The only problems was we came out the entrance. It wasn't a problem for the boys and me. I was just happy to be out and the boys were oblivious. Brad on the other hand was not happy that we didn't come out the exit. He probably would have gone back in if I would have let him. I don't think I will be going back in a corn maze anytime soon, at least not without a map. I never thought a corn maze would bother me, but I guess I was wrong. Maybe it was just the prospect of having to carry both children around the maze that was making me nervous.

No comments:
Post a Comment