When the kids and I are trying to get out of the house on time to be somewhere I try to pack the diaper bag and anything else we may need the night before or at least several hours before we leave. When it gets close to time to leave my children seem to sense my urgency to get out of the house on time and tend to dawdle or just run in opposite directions and make me feel like I am attempting to herd flies.
Last weekend Brad and I had a wedding we were going to. Brad was busy in the field and I told him that he didn't need to attend the wedding, but he needed to stop working in time for the reception. The nice thing was that the reception was only 1 mile from the main farm. The point of all of this is that usually when we are getting ready to go somewhere that requires us to be dressed up and the kids are around Brad and I take turns keeping an eye on the kids while we are getting ready. Since Brad was up at the farm I was on my own and all the getting ready ahead of time did not end up helping me.
Early in the morning the boys and I cleaned out the truck and loaded the kids overnight bags, Brad's clothes and my dress. Two and a half hours before we had to leave I fed the kids. It was the longest lunch ever and it took them 45 minutes to eat. They have never taken that long! Joel got done eating and I took him upstairs to watch a movie while I got a shower and got ready, it was his nap time but I really didn't want him to sleep before we got in the car. I ran downstairs to check on Vince and he declared he had to poop. I didn't want to leave Vince alone to wipe himself so I stalled off on getting ready for a few minutes. After waiting about 15 minutes I told him to wipe himself when he was done and I was going to take a quick shower. At this point I had 45 min to get ready, load the kids up and get on the road. We managed to get out of the house close to on time, drove to my in laws, dropped off the kids and quickly changed into my dress. I got to the church with about 5 minutes to spare and felt much better when people where seated after me, at least I wasn't the last one there! It was all worth it for the beautiful wedding and a date night with Brad.
Today Brad's cousin is getting married. Brad is in Farmer City and going to get home with barely enough time to get ready. Our entire morning at home as revolved around getting ready other than the small birthday party we had for our dog, Bristol. Hopefully the kids don't complain too much about going down early for a nap, but I need time to get ready and they need to be well rested so they are fun at the wedding. Hopefully we can all be ready on time and not scrambling to get out the door. Although it seems like we are always using every last minute we have to get ready and I am guessing that probably won't change anytime soon.

No comments:
Post a Comment