On Wednesday the kids and I were heading to my sister in laws house to drop off Joel on our way to Vince's 4 year old checkup at the doctor's office. The boys were bickering in the back seat of the pickup and I was ignoring the fighting. Sometimes I just hope if I ignore it it will stop. Rarely does that ever work!
I was on the phone with Brad when I looked in the rear view mirror and saw exactly what was going on in the back seat. The boys, while in their 5 point harness car seats, were having quite the fight. Joel's car seat is on the driver's side and Vince's is in the middle. Joel was using his right hand to hit, pinch and scratch Vince's leg because that is all he could reach. Vince was using his left hand to hit Joel and attempt to grab Joel's arm to stop him.
From what I could gather Vince may have taken something from Joel, but Joel doesn't talk, I didn't see it and I only have Vince's version to go by. The whole time this is going on Vince is yelling "Joel's trying to take my pants, Joel wants my pants, No Joel! You can't have my pants." Vince thought that since Joel was pulling at his shorts that Joel wanted them. He didn't realize Joel was just trying to hurt him and get back whatever it was that he thought was taken from him. At one point as we were driving I looked in the rear view mirror, saw Vince trying to bit Joel's arm and when I said stop biting him Vince used his foot to try to smash Joel's hand against the car seat.
I was still on the phone with Brad trying to tell him what all the noise was about but I ended up telling him I had to go. I was laughing so hard I was almost crying and I needed to get the situation under control before someone got hurt. I said something I never thought I would say "stop fighting right now or I will pull this car over!"
It didn't stop. I pulled the car over, turned around in my seat and yelled at both of them for fighting. I said something to the effect of "We don't fight in the car, at the store, or at other people's houses. You can only fight at home and I would rather you didn't fight there either. If you need to stop fighting now and if you don't I will pull over again and spank you. And if it happens again you will not watch any tv or movies all day!" I said it all in as stern of a voice as I could muster because for some reason I found the whole thing hilarious.
They weren't taking me too serious until I threaten them with no movies. Rarely do I ever spank them so they know that is a pretty empty threat. Now I know their weak point! That was really the first time they have fought like that in the car. I doubt it is the last time. It made me realize that my sweet little babies aren't so little any more.

No comments:
Post a Comment