About Me

My photo
I am married to a wonderful man who is my best friend. I have 3 wonderful boys and a little girl who make me laugh everyday. I love my life, even if it is a little crazy from time to time.

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Camping in the heat

One of my best friends and her husband live in Texas and only come home to visit a couple times a year.  Tiffany and Dustin are both veterinarians and and when they come to visit we do talk about work some.  It is nice for me because for once someone wants to talk about veterinary medicine instead of talking about farming all the time! Don't get me wrong I don't mind talking about farming, but it does get old from time to time.

Daddy and Joel in the creek

Tiffany and Dustin were in town during the week of the 4th of July.  Weeks before they came Tiffany and I had decided that we were going to go camping and trail riding for a couple nights.  Usually when they come home it is winter time or early spring and camping really isn't an option.  We offered for Tiffany and Dustin to stay in the camper because it was just easier than a tent and we didn't have an air mattress that held air.


Joel playing in the algae...later we saw a snake in the water in the algae. Yikes!

While we were camping the heat index was around 105-110.  Not ideal for camping and truthfully I would have cancelled if it wasn't for them.  We spent most of our time in the creek cooling off, under a shade tree, sitting in the RV with the air conditioning running, or chasing children .  I realize that the air conditioning cheating, but Cecilia was getting heat rashes and it was so hot!!!!   Plus at one point I was pretty sure one of the dogs was going to end up with heat stroke.


Buddies

The first night there was an alarm going off in the RV and I invited Tiffany and Dustin to come sit in the camper with us while Brad was trying to figure out what the alarm was about.  It turned out to be the carbon monoxide alarm.  Such wonderful hosts we are: please come join us in our RV with the deadly fumes.  After we opened the windows it was fine.  No air conditioning for the night but it was cooling off outside so it wasn't a big deal.

Brad and Cecilia staying cool...she liked sticking her toes in the water.

During the camping trip they got an up close and personal look at what life with 3 kids is like: the good, bad and ugly.  The first night Joel ended up getting up super early (before 5 am).  Crying constantly, not happy about anything because he was still exhausted and he never sleeps well the first night we camp.  I tend to forget that until it is the first night and I am up with him the whole night.  I literally had to cover Joel's mouth, sneak past Tiffany and Dustin and go outside.  Not much longer later Cecilia was up too!  I had to sneak back in and grab her and run outside again.  The three of us ended up going on a very long walk up and down the road to keep them both quiet.  Luckily the next night was better and everyone slept until at least 6:30 am.  Welcome to life with 3 small kids...you don't get to sleep as much as you would like!  Tiffany and Dustin handled it really well and jumped right in helping with the kids. 

Tiffany chilling in the creek

Despite the heat it really was a great couple days of camping, but I am not sure I will go camping in that kind of heat again.


Tiffany watching Dustin and Vince build a "pond" in the creek for the fish Kennidy caught.

No comments:

Post a Comment