Over the last month or so Brad and I have been trying to decrease the amount of time the kids are watching TV, movies, playing on the iPhones, etc. I didn't want to ban the TV completely because I do enjoy being able to take a shower or cook dinner without "help" and movies make that possible (usually).
The reason this all came about is that the kids were stealing my phone and throwing fits when I would take it back to make phone calls or even answer phone calls. If I needed to use my phone I had to sneak around so the boys wouldn't notice. It was ridiculous! I did try putting a password on it but they are determined and would just spent their time trying to figure out the password and get frustrated. Joel doesn't say many words but could say "apple" and it meant he wanted to watch a movie on Netflix via Apple TV. It was annoying me! At one point I threatened to throw the TV in the garbage. Vince told me I couldn't because "Daddy would miss it and it wouldn't fit in the garbage can.
The new rule around here is you can only use Mommy's iPhone when Mommy is taking a shower. Brad and I recently got new iPhones and we still have our old ones. The other time they can use the old iPhones is on long car trips. Unfortunately for the kids I "misplaced" one of the phones and the other one that lives in the truck is rarely charged because I "forget" to charge it. I am basically weaning them off the from the iPhones. They don't realize what I am up to!
Joel has taken to all of this quite well. He will actually see my phone around the house and bring it to me instead of stealing it. I still give him the phone if we are out somewhere and need him to sit still or be quiet, but I am depending on it less.
Vince has taken to waking up with the sun or before it. He crawls in our bed, wakes me up and says "uh, Mommy are you going to go take a shower now?" If I happen to say yes or tell him soon then he will ask if it will be a long shower. I always tell him yes because he really won't know the difference. A few weeks ago I woke up to Vince staring at me and telling me the sun was almost up and I needed to wake up and take a shower. He is almost 4 years old and he already knows how to work the system! It has been getting better Vince is now waiting for the sun to come up before he comes in the room and begs me to take a shower.
In case you were wondering Joel likes to play games and watch "Up" on my phone. Vince likes to play games and he has figured out how to work Netflix on my phone too. He can figure out how to watch Diego or Dora or another favorite all by himself. He thinks it is pretty fantastic!

No comments:
Post a Comment