Pajamas are a big deal for Vince. He is suddenly very into what designs, pictures, etc are on the pajamas. They give him an identity. He has always loved picking out his pajamas and would get really excited about certain pairs. A few weeks ago I brought a box of clothes down from the attic for Vince. His clothes were getting to small and we had a box of hand me downs the next size up in the attic. A lot of the clothes in the box were pajamas. Vince was in heaven. He told Brad "Mommy went to the attic and got me new clothes!!!" Since then he has been all about picking out his own clothes, pajamas and shoes. He told me that "sandals are only for the desert and beach and not the sandbox!"
Vince's favorites pajamas vary by the day and usually involve rockets or dinosaurs. Luckily there are 3 different pairs or rocket pajamas but there are very few dinosaur pajamas. There are also some soccer and basketball pajamas. Vince will run upstairs at bedtime, pick out his own pajamas (don't even bother helping), put on a pull up and then come find us and announce what he is for the night. "I am rocket man!" or "I am soccer man" or "I am dinosaur man!"
Last night Brad and Vince were going to sleep in the camper in the yard. It was about 75 degrees and humid last night. Vince picked out fleece long sleeve and pant pajamas. I walked into his room when he was putting them on. I told him it was a bad idea because it was so hot out that he really needed to pick something with shorts. He would hear nothing of it and told me "Go brush Joel's teeth. I don't want your help!" We went back and forth about the pajamas for 15 minutes. I tried to encourage him to make the right decision. Failed! I tried bribery: "I will tell you what fun thing we are doing tomorrow if you pick out different pajamas." Failed! I tried reasoning: "Vince you will be very hot, those are winter pajamas and it is summer time. You will get hot and not get a good nights sleep." Failed! He told me that he sleeps better when he is hot. I even tried compromise: "You can just wear your shirt to bed or pants but not both. Your can sleep in different pajamas and cuddled your dinosaur pajamas. Or, I can cut them and make them shorts and a short sleeved shirt. " Then he started crying because "when winter comes I will be cold."
After 15 minutes of nonsense I was coming to the conclusion that I was going to lose this battle and perhaps isn't really wasn't a battle worth having. After all he would be sleeping in the motor home and I would be in the house, so it wouldn't be me Vince was waking me up in the middle of the night because he was hot. We went downstairs and let Daddy attempt to talk some sense into Vince. He didn't have any better luck! It turns out Vince just loves the pajamas and we weren't going to convince him otherwise.
As soon as Vince and Brad came in the house this morning Vince came to find me. "Mommy, I sleep really good when I am in hot pajamas and I don't sleep good when I am in short pajamas!" It was the first thing he told Brad this morning too. Nothing like proving a point my strong willed friend and rubbing our noses in it! All I really could do was smile and say "I am glad you slept well."

No comments:
Post a Comment