As much fun as going away for a weekend by myself sounded (uninterrupted sleep and no diapers to change!) it required a lot of planning and work. Honestly, around Thursday night (my late night at work) I thought it probably wasn't worth all the effort. I was supposed to leave around 5:30 am on Friday. I needed to make sure that the boys’ clothes and diapers were all clean and put away, the house was clean and that I was packed. Also, that everyone knew the boys schedule for the weekend and their normal routine. I had been slowly getting things ready all week but there is always last minute laundry to be done around our house (silly potty training). It all went fine at home. Aunt Alyse came to relieve our normal sitter on Friday evening and stayed until Saturday afternoon when Grandma Diane took over until Brad came home. Brad was hoping they would be done with harvest by this weekend, but several rain days ruined that plan. From what I can tell everyone had a good time this weekend. I keep hearing stories from Vince like "Aunt Alyse brought this..." or "Aunt Alyse does it this way..." or "Aunt Alyse let me do...." And then there were Brad’s stories “I got home and the house was clean, everyone was in bed. Vince was even in his own bed (lately he sleeps in the guest room), there were delicious leftovers in the fridge and the kid’s all slept thru the night.” It sounds like everyone was happy to have Aunt Alyse around home!
Grandma Diane brought the kids to one of Brad's cousin's birthday party and last night I was told amidst tears "I told Grandma Diane the birthday cake looked delicious like my monster truck cake but she wouldn't let me have any." Before you think Grandma is mean, Vince didn’t eat dinner and was asking for cake when she was trying to get them loaded up in the truck to bring them home. Sunday Brad and the boys got to spend the day together. At 9:55am on Sunday Brad sent me a text telling me they were already on their way to church. That is pretty much unheard of normally. Usually we are running around like crazy and don’t leave the house until after 10am and are walking into church as it is starting. The boys and Brad got to spend the rest of the day Sunday hanging out together until I got home. It isn’t often lately that they get to spend so much one on one time together.
I had a great weekend away, but I was happy to be back at home with Brad and the boys. We are blessed to have so many people in our lives that love the boys and are willing to help take care of them. Maybe next time Brad and I can go away together (somewhere more fun than a conference) and leave the boys at home. Aunt Alyse, what weekends are you free?

No comments:
Post a Comment