About Me

My photo
I am married to a wonderful man who is my best friend. I have 3 wonderful boys and a little girl who make me laugh everyday. I love my life, even if it is a little crazy from time to time.

Sunday, November 20, 2011

It is OVER!

Can you tell I am excited?

It has been a very long fall!  I love harvest when it starts and even half way thru I still love it, but the last 1/5 of harvest I don't like at all.  It just seems to drag on and on and I don't have the patience for it anymore.  I want my husband back and the kids miss their dad!  This last week of harvest has had several rain days and a breakdown which normally I don't care too much about but I was really looking forward to harvest being over and my husband being home.   For the last few weeks I have been asking for acre updates from Brad.  I know that they can do about 200 acres a day so I kept doing the math in my head, but the rain days really messed with my timeline!   



Thursday morning before Brad left for work he told Vince that they would be done with combining that day.  Vince replied "Now you can be home all the time!"  Unfortunately that isn't quite true.  There is so much to be done still: tillage work, cleaning and fixing equipment, paperwork, marketing the grain, etc.  On the bright side we should return to working hours where Brad actually gets to see the kids for more than 10-15 minutes in the morning while he is walking out the door or when we come out to the field for a little bit here and there.  I am excited! 


The honey do list has been growing this fall, mostly in preparation for the baby.  Brad may wish he was back in the field before too long!  The list isn't that bad.  Mostly painting and some heavy lifting.  I think I will wait until after Thanksgiving to bug him about it!

Vince and the moisture tester.  Vince loves running corn and bean samples thru the moisture tester.  He calls the room it sits in the corn shop.  The other day he was teaching me how to use it and telling me what buttons to press and when.  He tried to teach Joel too but Joel wouldn't listen!  The room is also home to all the electrical panels for the grain set up as well as the control panel for the grain dryer.  Most buttons are places where Vince can reach them and he does such a good job having self control when he is helping Brad in the corn shop!

We are so thankful for a safe harvest and so happy it is over for 2011!  I am sure it will be planting time again before we know it!



No comments:

Post a Comment