About Me

My photo
I am married to a wonderful man who is my best friend. I have 3 wonderful boys and a little girl who make me laugh everyday. I love my life, even if it is a little crazy from time to time.

Friday, September 16, 2011

Maisy's surgery

At the beginning of July our dog, Maisy, tore her cruciate ligament.  The cruciate ligament in a ligament in the knee and prevents front to back movement of the joint.  I don't know how she did it but when I got home from church with the boys on a Sunday she was laying around, which is not normal for her.  A friend of mine, Wendy,  from vet school was at my house and asked me what happened to my dog.  I told her I didn't know what she was talking about and that is when Wendy told me that Maisy wasn't using her back leg.  I told Wendy I would look at her after I got the boys lunch.  It turns out that I didn't need to because Wendy told me she already examined her and it was a torn cruciate ligament.  I was not thrilled with that diagnosis, but it is what it is.  Later that day Wendy visited with another friend from vet school, Erin, and told Erin about my dog.  It turns out that Erin was well versed in the procedure that Maisy needed to stabilize her joint!  It is nice to have such wonderful friends.

Last fall
Fast forward about 2 months.  I took Maisy to Erin's clinic to have her leg operated on and also learn the procedure at the same time.  It was great to see Erin!  I haven't seen her in over a year and she did a wonderful job teaching and giving little practical pointers about the surgery, plus her staff was great!  I am excited to have more knowledge about the procedure and can't wait to practice.  The night of the surgery I was so excited that it went well it was all I really wanted to talked about.  Unfortunately the kids didn't really care and Brad didn't get home until late.  When Brad did get home he was nice enough to humor me and listen to every detail of the surgery and the trip, all of which I am sure bored him to tears.

Surgery leg/incision...her leg looks funny shaved!
It has only been 48 hours since Maisy's surgery and so far she is doing great!  She does have 6 weeks of total recovery that involves a lot of cage rest and no wrestling with the kids or our other dog, Bristol.  Hopefully the next 6 weeks go by quickly because Bristol is not happy that her sister can't come out and play!
Out of her kennel to eat dinner and take her medicine

1 comment: