About Me

My photo
I am married to a wonderful man who is my best friend. I have 3 wonderful boys and a little girl who make me laugh everyday. I love my life, even if it is a little crazy from time to time.

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Brett and the Bully

Monday we watched my cousin's son, Brett.  He is Joel's age and I was really excited to have him over for the day.  Usually it is Vince who gets to play with kids his own age and Joel just tags along.  I thought it would be fun for Joel to have someone his age to play with and good for Vince to play the role of big, helpful brother.  It didn't quite go as I had imagined.  For starters it was rainy so we were stuck inside all day.  Then I discovered that Joel is a bully and has no intention of sharing me or any toy he remotely likes with anyone.  Brett was so sweet and if Joel wanted something he just gave it to him or ran away, he did not want any trouble.  Even when Brett would run away Joel would chase him down and sometimes grab him by the back of the shirt.  At first I thought I would just let them work it out, but I quickly realized that wasn't an option. 

Playing together and flooding the kitchen...I needed to wash the floor anyway
While Joel was off playing with Vince I read a book to Brett.  Joel saw me do this and started yelling at Brett and crawled up on the couch and grabbed ahold of me and said "mine."  Another time Brett was happily sitting on the couch playing with toys and books minding his own business and Joel climbed up on the couch by him.  I thought Joel was going to be nice and he sat right next to Brett and wasn't squealing at him, and then Joel stole Brett's pacifier and held it up in the air so Brett couldn't get it.  I quickly intervened but I am sure Brett was already wondering what he did wrong to be forced to play with this bully all day.

Playing together


Vince said he looked like Daddy!
 It wasn't like that all day.  We had a dance party and I got all the boys to dance around the living room and my boys also spend a good amount of time doing laps around the dining room table.  At this point Brett probably just thought we were crazy!  Brett loved our dog Bristol and spent a lot of time playing with her and following her around.  He also enjoyed watching my boys and then mimicking their movements.  Joel moved a chair to reach something on the counter and two seconds later Brett was pushing a chair to the other side of the counter to look around.  Vince was using soapy water from the sink and giving himself a goatee and then Brett followed suit, except I think he may have gotten some soap in his mouth because he made a really funny face.

Right before Brett put bubbles on his face

During lunch Brett was sitting at a little table with Vince and Joel was in a highchair.  Brett would eat some food, walk over to Joel give him a little food, take a little of Joel's food and go back to the table to start the process over.  Then when Vince was done eating Brett started working on Vince's food and also shared it with Joel.  When Brett's dad came to pick him up, the boys were just waking up from their naps.  Joel was suddenly shy and super sweet when Brett was in Andy's arms.  
Joel isn't as tough when he is in a highchair

Brett I am sorry your cousin is a bully.  Maybe if you guys spend more time together he will learn to share or you can just wait to play again until he is 3 and easier to reason with.  Either way we hope you were able to have some fun at our house and that you come back again or we can come to your house and you can yell at Joel for playing with your toys!

1 comment:

  1. haha. this reminds me of the most recent Modern Family, when Lilly (2 year old, maybe?) Wouldn't share her dad with anyone or toys. She knocked over kids and said MINE!

    They concluded that she was learning from her parents who couldn't share either! I am hoping THIS is not the case in your house ;) haha jk love u guys!

    ReplyDelete