About Me

My photo
I am married to a wonderful man who is my best friend. I have 3 wonderful boys and a little girl who make me laugh everyday. I love my life, even if it is a little crazy from time to time.

Saturday, September 10, 2011

Harvest Preseason

There are certain things in life that you just don't do...at least according to a 3 year old.  The guys started doing a little bit of combining on Thursday!  I wouldn't call it the official start to harvest, more like a preseason game or 2.  Just trying to get some of the new equipment up and going and everybody practiced up for their harvest duties, with any luck some small issues will get straightened out before the official harvest opening day.  Anyway, back to the 3 year old...he has been wanting to harvest corn this year since the ears started appearing.  Vince and I have had many conversations about how harvest doesn't start until the whole corn plant is yellow and that everything has a time and an order.  First you plant the corn, then you spray the corn, then you harvest the corn, once harvest is happening then it is Halloween and then he gets to wear his costume...we have it all worked out all the way until planting again with all the important holidays and events in between.

When Brad came home last night and told Vince they combined corn that day, Vince was not happy.  Something along the lines of "No, Daddy you screwed up!  You have to wait until the corn is super yellow for harvest" was said very matter of factly, almost in a condescending manner.  To a 3 year old everything is very black and white and there is no in between!  Brad couldn't believe that Vince told him he was wrong and Vince was just appalled that Brad would even consider combining.  

I am happy about this preseason practice, it gives me a little time to adjust to being a single mom again once harvest is in full swing.  Now I just need to practice getting up earlier and going to bed later so I have a better chance of keeping up with everything around the house.  One of those things will happen but I doubt both,  but it is always good to have goals.

I was at work all day and didn't send Brad with my camera, but I am sure by the time Thanksgiving rolls around you will be sick and tired of seeing harvest pictures.  They all start to look a like after awhile.  I thought about putting ones from last year up and very few people would know the difference.  However, Brad would be one of those people.  He can pick out a small detail in a picture and tell me what field it was from and I didn't want grief about cheating by putting up an inaccurate picture.  So maybe next week I will have some good ones to share!

Ok, I can't resist.  Here is one of my favorite harvest pictures.  I am not always popular when I get my camera out and starting taking pictures of everything when we are broke down, but everyone is usually working together in the same small area then and it is just easier to take pictures.  Plus they are just more interesting then equipment going thru the field at least to me.

This is from 4 years ago when the combine was broke down.  I don't know why but I just love this picture.  Hopefully we will have very few opportunities for pictures like this this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment