About Me

My photo
I am married to a wonderful man who is my best friend. I have 3 wonderful boys and a little girl who make me laugh everyday. I love my life, even if it is a little crazy from time to time.

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

The Letter

On the way to Awana Club last night Vince told me that he had a very important letter to mail.  He didn't even have a real piece of paper or a real letter it was an imaginary letter.  I told him that we would put it in the mailbox in the morning.  He was having none of it, he wanted to go to the post office.  I told him we could go tomorrow but that the post office was closed for the night.  Vince asked for my phone and (pretend) called the post office and had a 2 sided conversation with the (pretend) person at the post office.  Vince told me they would be open after Awana Club.  I forgot about the letter and on the way home as we were driving thru town Vince reminded me.  I drove down to the post office (which was closed of course because it was 8:30pm) and told Vince it was closed, but I could put the letter in the mailbox outside the post office if he wanted me to.  Vince agreed and I walked over to the mailbox and mailed the imaginary letter.  Vince said "Thank you."

One mile outside of town Vince started crying hysterically because I mailed his letter and he wanted it back!  I was so confused and annoyed.  I went along with the game thinking it would be fun for him and make him happy and now he was crying so hard in the backseat of the truck he could hardly breathe.  He wanted to turn around and get his letter back NOW!  I kept driving home thinking he would get over it, no such luck but it also is only a 4 mile drive.  The poor kid was a mess.  I suggested we call Daddy and ask him to stop and get the letter on the way home.  Vince said that would work so I called Brad.  Brad has been spending his day managing trucks and grain.  Getting ahold of him anytime between 7am-10pm is difficult unless you are one of the drivers or part of the harvest crew.  Thankfully he answered but he was busy so I had to make it quick.  I asked if he could pick up Vince's letter at the post office on his way home and that it was a pretend letter.  Brad agreed even though he was confused!  Vince got on the phone and told Brad the letter was red and then Brad was even more confused.  Last night when Brad got home I explained the whole story to him!

This morning Vince was sort of awake before Brad left, so I asked Brad to give Vince the letter (so I could avoid any meltdowns over it  today).  Brad was wondering if he needed an actual envelope or what exactly he was giving Vince.  I told him it was imaginary and just to pretend to hand him something.  Vince was thrilled!  I love that he has a vivid imagination but playing along with his imagination can be exhausting!

No comments:

Post a Comment