About Me

My photo
I am married to a wonderful man who is my best friend. I have 3 wonderful boys and a little girl who make me laugh everyday. I love my life, even if it is a little crazy from time to time.

Monday, September 12, 2011

LBL Part 2: A day at the lake

Several months ago I suggested to Brad that I take off Labor day weekend and we camping and trail riding at a nearby state park.  Brad agreed but said that if I was going to take so much time off work we should go somewhere farther and probably without the horses.  I was hesitant about not going with the horses because usually when we camp we take them.  While planning for our vacation we researched and changed our locations numerous times.  We talked about going to Tennessee, Michigan, the Ozarks, and then changed our mind between the 3 for over a month.  It wasn’t until a week before we left that we decided to go to Land between the Lakes.  While we were talking about different places I kept telling Brad that all I wanted to do was relax and rent a boat for a day.  Anything beyond that was icing on the cake.

On day 3 of being in Kentucky we rented a pontoon boat and headed out on Lake Barkley.  I was a little worried about how the boys would do, mostly Joel, but they were excellent!  Vince is slightly scared of the water, he is getting better, and I knew he would never attempt to jump into the water but Joel loves the water and loves to climb so I was worried.  The pontoon was perfect because the boys could walk back and forth and no area was restricted.  We packed a cooler full of food and drinks and everyone was happy.

Going fishing!
Helping Daddy Drive
We anchored in a few different areas of the lake and fished and swam for awhile.  The water was a perfect temperature, but unfortunately Brad and they boys didn’t catch any fish.  The first time in the water the boys both clung to me like they were going to drown if they weren't choking me.  As time went on they both relaxed.  We had Vince swimming (with his life jacket on) holding onto a noodle and not holding on to us!  He also was jumping off the boat into the water and onto me and then climbing up the ladder to do it again.  Joel was floating on his back with his life jacket and also like to be held out so he could kick his legs and move his arms.  Brad even helped him jump off the boat to me a couple times, he didn’t seem to enjoy that as much but he never cried.

Brad and Joel swimming
Mommy and her boys
When we were trying to get back in the boat so we could return it on time the boys were in the boat with Brad and hanging out at the top of the ladder.  Every time I would climb up they would push me off the ladder, I would make a big fuss and fall into the water, and they would laugh uncontrollably.  After about 10 minutes and several warnings to stop I grabbed Vince and pulled him into the water with me.  He didn’t seem to mind that much.  Then Joel was upset because he wanted to do it too, so I grabbed Joel and pulled him into the water with me. 

Attempting a self portrait of me and Vince
Vince, Brad and the barge
the barge
It was such a relaxing day on the boat with just the 4 of us!  There was hardly anyone else on the lake.  The boys even took a nap for an hour or so while Brad and I cruised around the lake.  It was so wonderful and I am so glad we did it!

Brad and Vince
Joel found the food
We finished off the day with a trip to the Elk and Bison Park...after a long quest for beer for Brad.  A whole blog post in and of itself...stay tuned!








Important conversation

No comments:

Post a Comment