About Me

My photo
I am married to a wonderful man who is my best friend. I have 3 wonderful boys and a little girl who make me laugh everyday. I love my life, even if it is a little crazy from time to time.

Sunday, June 3, 2012

Tally's Emergency

Saturday night of Memorial day weekend around 10pm ended on a scary note.  Tally, my in laws dog and Bristol's litter mate, got sick.  I was in the motor home feeding Cecilia and Brad told me that Tally had vomited and did I want to look at her.  I told him I would when Cecilia was done.  He didn't act like it was any sort of emergency.  Then 5 minutes later Diane came in and said Tally was really sick and looked really bloated.  The alarm bells in my head went off.  I told Diane to bring Tally to me to look at and she hesitated because I was feeding Cecilia and she was worried Tally would get sick in the motor home.  Tally looked awful!  Her left side was rock hard!  I was fairly certain she had a GDV (gastric dilatation volvulus).  That is when the stomach fills with air and then flips on itself and can compromise several important vessels.  It is a life or death situation.

We had little to no cell service and no idea where the nearest emergency clinic was located.  I managed to look up the nearest vet clinic and their answering machine had the information for the nearest emergency clinic.  It was about 30 minutes away.  As Brad and I were getting that information John quickly unhooked his motor home from his horse trailer, Michelle rounded up their kids and everyone except Brad, our kids and I jumped in and headed off with Tally.  We stayed back to take care of all the horses.


Tally

Due to the poor cell service we didn't really know what was happening.  I didn't sleep well that night!  Tally ended up have a GDV.  She had surgery and spent her Memorial Day weekend at the emergency clinic.  So far she is doing well!

Tally is well loved by everyone in the family, our employees and visitors to the farm.  She will play fetch until her feet bleed and lets the grandkids do just about anything to her.  She does have her bad points like being underfoot a lot or barking at random things or people she knows, but in the grand scheme of things they really aren't that bad to deal with.  It sounded like she has several new fans at the emergency clinic as well.  Diane was told that even before surgery when she was in so much pain her little nub of a tail was still wagging and she was nice to everyone that was working on her.

It was definitely a team effort to help Tally! 

No comments:

Post a Comment