At a party Friday night Brad's cousin Matt was telling us how his daughter has an orphaned baby raccoon that just opened its eyes. They bottle feed and she loves it. They keep it outside in a shed or barn and they had a heat lamp on for it, but the other night it still managed to get too cold. Matt checked on it in the morning and it was agonally breathing. He picked it up and it was cold and stop breathing and looked dead. Knowing his daughter would be devastated he started doing chest compressions on the raccoon! A farmer doing chest compressions on a raccoon! I couldn't even believe what I was hearing. He claims he didn't give it mouth to mouth, but even if he had I doubt he would have confessed. Amazingly the raccoon lived!
| Matt and Kamryn |
While I was at the party I got a call from my brother in law John. On of the ponies was hurt and lost its hoof. It was his daughter Maggie's pony but all of the kids LOVE this pony. Normally horses are euthanized if this happens, but John really didn't want to do that. After several phone calls around Marji was able to get some insight from a few different vets and came up with a plan that might work. It is going to take a lot of work on their part and we will see in the next 6-12 months if it works. The odds really aren't in our favor, but John is willing to give it a try because it is the girls' pony and in all reality the pony doesn't have to be anything other than a pasture ornament. I can tell you for a fact that if it was one of the other ponies that the girls didn't love so much there would be no way John would be up for saving it.
![]() |
| A really old picture of Maggie and John. Its my favorite picture of the two of them (that I have.) |
There is definitely a strong bond between fathers and daughters and it will be interesting to see what things Brad will end up doing, that he normally wouldn't, in order to keep his daughter happy.
| Brad and Cecilia |


No comments:
Post a Comment