Valentine's Day is not my favorite holiday. I have always thought it was a little silly because if you love someone do nice things for them all year and say nice things to them all year. Then 10 years ago Brad's cousin, who was also a good friend of mine, died in a car accident along with her son, and I liked the day even less.
I still remember it like it was yesterday although this memory I haven't thought of in awhile. I was in my 4th year of vet school. We had a blizzard that hit on Feb 12-13. It was bad enough that the university cancelled classes. After spending the day on clinics I was scheduled for a 6pm-midnight shift in the large animal ICU. The next shift which was midnight-6am was unable to get to the school so two of us stayed on and covered the shift. We were slap happy by the end of the night. Another classmate had a truck with 4 wheel drive and was giving rides to and from the school to anyone that needed them. The apartment complex where I lived along with many vet school students wasn't getting plowed at all. I was happy to eat and get into my bed that morning after being at school for almost 24 hours. A few hours later I woke up because Brad was calling to tell me about the accident. I felt like I had to get back home, there was no question about it. I called the vet school and talked to the resident that was on that day and informed her of the situation and told her I was heading home for a few days. I jumped in the shower, packed a bag and went to figure out how I was going to get my truck out of the parking lot. When I got out there I found it all cleared of snow and shoveled out. While I was getting ready my friend who worked overnight with me found out what happened and came over to help me. Jen and Sam are missed by so many!
Other than sending cards to school with the kids we haven't done much to celebrate Valentine's day in the past. Then this year I saw something on Facebook about writing on a heart something you love about your kids or spouse each day of February up until Valentine's day. That was something that really spoke to me this year. I found time to do it and the kids loved it! They weren't even too hard on me when I forgot one day and put two up the next day. I hung them all on the windows in the dining room and they doubled as decorations! The kids loved to read the new ones in the morning and loved to see what I had wrote. As a matter of fact I made all three of the older kids ones that said they were competitive, but I didn't hang them up on the same night. When Cecilia saw that Joel had one that said he was competitive she said "I'm competitive too!" I started laughing and she had no idea why.
As the days went by I felt like I should do it for Brad too, but starting at day 10 seemed silly. Before I went to bed the night before Valentine's day I put up 14 hearts for Brad. He liked them but felt bad he didn't do the same for me. He did take my car to the shop and clean it inside and out and that was a much better present in my opinion!
While we will never go crazy about Valentine's day around here, I am going to make the heart thing a new tradition!

No comments:
Post a Comment