About Me

My photo
I am married to a wonderful man who is my best friend. I have 3 wonderful boys and a little girl who make me laugh everyday. I love my life, even if it is a little crazy from time to time.

Sunday, November 23, 2014

Franklin Creek with the Crawfords!




We finally arrived at Franklin Creek to meet up and camp with the Crawfords at 8pm or so.  The kids were so excited to all see each other.  The adults were all relieved to be in camp finally, we both had long days trying to get ready for the first horse camping trip of the year.  We were originally supposed to go over Memorial day weekend, but between the weather and farming it just didn’t happen.  The kids spent the night running around and playing in the dark and briefly visiting the campfire to check in.  They also had to check out each others sleeping arrangements.  They had a blast!  Bedtime didn’t occur until 11pm for them and somehow us adults managed to stay up until 1am.  Not a bright idea seeing as how the kids were probably going to wake up early, but such is the camping life.

The next morning Vincent was up bright and early and staring out our window.  He was waiting to see if Logan was awake.  We got the play by play until Logan was awake.  After breakfast everyone got ready to go out for a ride.  We had only brought two horses, since it would be Brad and the kids riding.  After a little bit of debate between the kids Vincent rode Ollie, Brad and Cecilia rode Croc and Joel said he would stay with me until the next ride.  He really wanted to ride Ollie and didn’t want to ride double with Brad.  It was kind of fun, because while everyone else was out riding we had fun playing in the creek, playing with his cars, and just hanging out.  I was a little nervous about everyone going riding and me not being along, because it is a rare occasion if I am not along on a ride.  Plus it was the first time Cecilia had been in a buddy seat on a trail ride.  Everyone came back happy and had a great time!

Not long after they got back I told Brad that Joel had been waiting patiently for a ride and really wanted to go out soon.  Brad and Erik decided they would go out on the trail with Joel and Heather, the kids and I would stay back.  After getting Joel up on the horse we took a bunch of pictures and he was so excited.  Brad jumped on Croc and turned to go and the lead rope on picket line flopped off Croc’s butt and swung and the snap hit Ollie in the fetlock.  I saw it happen and I heard it happen.  Ollie jumped!  Joel moved in the saddle.  Ollie jumped again.  Joel dangled from the horn and finally slid off onto the ground in front of Ollie.  Ollie was connected to Croc and had no choice but to turn and jump over Joel.  He stepped on his elbow and back leg.  You could tell that he was trying not to hit Joel, but it was unavoidable.  I was still standing there with my camera in hand when it happened.  I threw it to the ground and ran to get Joel.  He was really upset and rightfully so.  We he gets hurt he gets embarrassed and as we sat on the ground and I looked him over he was trying to crawl and hide in my lap.  His elbow was scraped and bruised and starting to swell.  He had a scrape behind his knee and kept asking me to kiss his leg.  It was in a desperate voice that he kept saying “I need a bandaid.  Kiss it Mommy.  Kiss it!”  I went to stand him up so I could stand up because he wanted me to hold him standing up and that was when I realized he didn’t want to put any weight on his right leg.  We quickly decided to go to the ER and the Crawford’s got their truck ready for us.  We basically said thanks for the truck and left them with 2 horses, 2 dogs and 2 kids and no instructions what so ever.  But that is ok because we are good friends, they didn't mind, and that is what good friends are for!

After 3 hours in the emergency room we finally left with Joel in a splint for a broken right tibia, pain medicine and instructions to see an orthopedic doctor Monday or Tuesday.  Joel was so brave and so good in the ER and followed directions for the x-ray and everything else.  While we were there my sister Kasi sent a text asking when they could stop by the park and see us.  I informed them we were in the ER with Joel but the other two were still at camp with the Crawford’s.  They were surprised to say the least and went to camp to help with the kids and visit.  After we left the ER we decided to go back to camp.  Sitting at home or sitting in the RV was about the same, at least at camp Joel had friends to help entertain him.  Joel was very concerned about showing Lexi his broken leg.

While we were in camp with Joel and his leg in a splint Lexi, Logan, Vincent and Cecilia were being very attentive to Joel.  They made him a tent in his bunk bed.  Made sure he was watching a movie he liked.  Told us if Joel needed anything and Lexi even held Joel’s water bottle and insisted he had a drink every once in awhile.  It was very adorable. 

That night Joel had a rough night and we rotated between sleeping in 4 different areas in the motorhome.  It was fairly miserable, made more miserable by the fact that Cecilia also thought she needed to be with Joel and I as we rotated between the table bed, stroller, bunk bed and my bed.  Joel would say “Hold my leg Mommy!”  I would and then I would start to dose and his leg would drop and then he would wake up crying and we would start all over again.

Sunday Joel was doing better and really wanted to play with the kids in the morning and even let Brad take him to go talk to and pet the horses.  Joel’s big concern was “What did Ollie do to me?”  I made the story short and told him Ollie got hurt and scared.  He jumped.  You fell off and then you got scared and hurt and your leg got broken.”  He would say “I got a broken bone.  The dogs’ going to eat it?”  I assured him that wouldn’t happen!  After everyone else went on a late morning ride we all packed up and headed to our separate houses.   The kids were not happy to be separated from the Crawfords!   Despite the fact that Joel broke his leg we still had a great weekend with the Crawfords and hopefully it will happen again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment