During the school year I do my best to go grocery shopping
when the boys are in school and I only have Cecilia. She isn’t the best grocery shopper and
usually falls apart by the end of the shopping trip, but I have ways to bribe
her and we mostly have it worked out.
Friday I had to go grocery shopping so we had food for camping that
weekend. I didn’t want to take all three
kids, but I decided it wouldn’t be that bad.
Call it denial or being optimistic, either way we went. We got a bigger cart where two kids could sit
on little stools in front of me and we went for it. At first things were going well….for 5
minutes. Then Cecilia got mad because
she didn’t get the seat she wanted, so mad that she was throwing a fit in the
store and throwing herself on the ground.
She was pissed!
I threatened to walk away because that usually scares her
and she comes running. However, it
freaks Joel out and stresses him out at the thought that Cecilia may possibly
get left behind. She took full advantage
of that and just continued to throw her fits.
I would have to pick her up and carry her under my arm and tight against
my ever expanding pregnant belly as I pushed the boys in the cart. Then I would get tired, she would stop crying
and thrashing and I would set her down.
We would have a quick talk about good behavior and she would behave for
a few minutes and go right back to being a stinker.
When I say she was being a stinker I don’t mean she wasn’t
just crying or whining. We are talking
tantrums on the floor because the boys were sitting where she wanted to
sit. She only wanted to sit where
someone else was and not in the open available seat. She would climb out of the back of the cart
while I was pushing it. The buckles on
the cart were broken so I couldn’t strap her in. She then started running away from me anytime
I let go of her and I would have to stop the cart, follow her down the aisles
or wherever she was going. So we
alternated carrying her and putting her down throughout the store. If I wasn’t pregnant I probably could have
held her through the whole store, but I was tired of getting kicked in the
belly by her and it was just hard to hold that wiggle worm and push the
cart. We were about 1/3 of the way done
with our shopping and she bolted and started climbing onto the shelves and
trying to hide. Keep in mind that every
time she took off that Joel would start crying because Cecilia was not with
us. We needed food so bad that I didn’t
want to stop shopping. I had worked so
hard to get the groceries I already had in my cart. But the final straw was when we were ½ done
with the shopping list and she took off running down a main aisle and started
climbing a display! I picked her up,
grabbed the cart and went straight to the check out. Having to go to the store a second time
sounded much better than putting up with Cecilia’s attitude and behavior for 1
more minute!
I was so disgusted with her behavior! I am not sure what got into her, but you can
bet I will be avoiding taking her grocery shopping anytime soon.

No comments:
Post a Comment