About Me

My photo
I am married to a wonderful man who is my best friend. I have 3 wonderful boys and a little girl who make me laugh everyday. I love my life, even if it is a little crazy from time to time.

Sunday, November 23, 2014

2nd week of June 2014



It was the start of our busy summer schedule.  Swim lessons started that week and so did Vincent’s summer sport camp.  Swim lessons are twice a week for 3 weeks and the boys were very excited about.  Joel was not happy to learn he wouldn’t be attending swim lessons.  Sports camp is pretty neat and the kids get to learn about a different sport each week.  It is a great way for me to gauge what sports Vincent is actually into and which ones he just thinks he likes.  All that was mixed into finding an orthopedic doctor to see Joel and get him a cast. 

Joel was very excited to get a cast because I told him that it could be a red cast.  So Tuesday I took Joel to the doctor.  He was so good.  We were there for awhile and he was very patient.  He followed directions for the xrays and also to get his cast on.  He was such a good boy!  We were very happy to find out that they could put a waterproof cast on and that Joel would have a walking boot on the cast.  That way I didn’t have to carry him anymore, or at least not as much as before.  It took a couple days for him to start using it and we were lucky enough to have a friend bring over a kid sized walker to help him around the house.  Joel also quickly figured out how to scoot on his butt or crawl and get almost anywhere he wanted before he was stable enough to walk on his own.

Tuesday night Brad got home early because it was raining.  He mentioned something about me needing a pedicure.  He said he would watch the kids some time so I could go get one.  After a few minutes it occurred to me that there was no time like the present, so I left to go get a pedicure and do some grocery shopping.  It was so wonderful to have a couple hours away!

Joel missed out on going to Cross Summer Camp that Wednesday but the other two had a lot of fun.   Cecilia does a great job when I leave and doesn’t cry and is very excited to tell me about what she did while she was there.  Vincent just loves talking about which friends were there that day.

Thursday we headed down to Altamont to see Kristine in the IL High School Finals Rodeo.  We had been wanting to see her and the other girls rodeo all year but this is the only one that seemed to work.  The kids were thrilled to get to go to a rodeo.  They have been hearing about rodeos since August and when grandma is gone it is generally because she is at a rodeo, so they were so happy to finally get to be a part of a rodeo.  They had a lot of fun watching for the most part.  Toward the end it was getting late and they weren’t as interested as they were in the beginning.  On our way down to the rodeo we heard that they had mutton bustin’ which is where kids ages 5-7 years old ride a sheep in the rodeo.  We asked Vincent if he wanted to do that and he said “sure, sheep are slow and just walk!”  I said ok and we signed him up.  I later informed him that the sheep might run or jump a little bit.  He was a little more nervous about that but still went for it.  Joel and Cecilia were not happy that they couldn’t ride the sheep. 

By the time Vincent was able to go mutton bust, it was pouring rain in the arena.  The bleachers had a roof over them, so all the spectators were dry.  Vincent did a great job, but looked extremely unhappy as he was walking out of the arena.  By the time he got to me he was happy and thought it was really cool that so many people gave him compliments.  I asked him what happened and why he let go.  He said that the sheep was running toward the metal fence.  Metal is harder than plastic and would break his plastic helmet, so he let go.  A lot of thought processing happening in less than 5 seconds.  The kids all had fun and were very disappointed when we had to leave for home the next day.  We had family pictures at 4pm and we couldn’t be late.

We got home at 3pm.  Quickly changed the kids and got ready for pictures.  Of course by then the ground was perfect for spraying, so Brad stayed for the family pictures and then took off to go spray.  With all the rain we have been having, he has to spray whenever he gets a chance.  Rarely is it ever good timing for things I have planned for the family.  Such is life as a farmer’s wife!

Saturday Bob was heading down to see the last rodeo performance in Altamont and Vincent really wanted to go back down so he could do mutton bustin’ again.  Uncle Bob was nice enough to take Vincent along and from all the pictures and texts I received and the report I got from Vincent when he returned, he had a blast!  It felt a little weird sending him off without Brad or I going along, but I think he enjoyed the freedom.  He was a little worried he was going to miss Father’s Day, but I assured him that he would be home on Sunday evening and could still wish Brad a happy Father’s day then.  He had another great night mutton bustin’!  He made a new friend named Cyrus and got to go to town in the golf cart with Grandpa to get ice cream and play at the park.  We did hear from Uncle Bob that Vincent and Mellow Yellow means lots of talking and potty breaks along the drive.

While Vincent was down south Joel, Cecilia and I headed to Prairie Fest in Oswego.  We visited some of the booths, saw the petting zoo and ate some great food.  I got quite the workout pushing the two of them around in a stroller.

Sunday was Father’s Day.  We all slept in and had to rush out the door to church so Brad got his gifts in the morning and cards from Joel and Cecilia, but no breakfast in bed.  I am not sure he even got breakfast.  After church we set up for VBS and then headed to town to get lunch at Red Robin.  On our way into town we realized that there was a parade starting in town around 1pm, so after lunch we watch a little bit of the parade.  45 minutes was more than enough for me and the kids.  When we got home we attempted to go swimming in our pool, but it was over cast and cloudy and really not any fun.  So we hooked up Ray to his wagon and drove him for a few hours.  He does such a great job, no matter how long it has been since we last drove him.  We drove him to the farm for a change of scenery and we got there at the same time as Grandma, Grandpa and Vincent.  Vincent was excited to ride home in the wagon and Joel was happy to ride back in the golf cart with Grandma Diane.  He was very happy she was home again and insisted she come play at his house.

It was a busy week, but such is the case this summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment