It has been almost four
weeks now that we have been living in Craig and Diane’s basement. We have gone from a large 4 bedroom 2.5 bath
house to a 2 bedroom 1 bathroom basement and it isn’t that bad. I actually like it. Don't feel too sorry for us. The basement is finished, I get to park in the attached garage, we have our own washer and dryer and kitchen.
The first week I hated it, but it wasn’t kid proof, the kids weren’t sleeping, no one was on a schedule and life was crazier than usual. The kids were literally running out the door at lightning speed while I was making dinner or going to the bathroom or just not paying attention for 30 seconds. My in-laws driveway is busier than the road we used to live on. It was not good! Thankfully my in-laws not only agreed to a fence in the yard, but make it right out the back door, and helped put it in right away. The kids still let themselves outside, but at least I know they can't make it far which significantly lowers my stress level. These days we are enjoying life in the basement, although Joel keeps finding things I need to baby proof.
| Our living room |
The first week I hated it, but it wasn’t kid proof, the kids weren’t sleeping, no one was on a schedule and life was crazier than usual. The kids were literally running out the door at lightning speed while I was making dinner or going to the bathroom or just not paying attention for 30 seconds. My in-laws driveway is busier than the road we used to live on. It was not good! Thankfully my in-laws not only agreed to a fence in the yard, but make it right out the back door, and helped put it in right away. The kids still let themselves outside, but at least I know they can't make it far which significantly lowers my stress level. These days we are enjoying life in the basement, although Joel keeps finding things I need to baby proof.
I say the
kids are mostly sleeping because Vincent still ends up in our room several
times a week, but that is normal for us.
He no longer turns on the lights when he comes in our room, so that is a plus. Joel has been up a few times in the middle of the night and since Cecilia
is in our room she sometimes wakes up when the boys come in our room. There has been more than one night where we
end up with 2-3 kids in bed with us plus or minus a dog.
When I get up in the morning I find the dogs stretched out on Vincent
and Joel’s bed as happy as can be! I
love cuddling the kids but when you get an elbow for foot in the face and
someone wets your bed it loses some of its appeal. Actually one night Brad and Joel were sleeping in our bed so I just went and slept in Vincent's bed with him. It just seemed easier than moving Joel and I was exhausted!
| Maisy and Bristol enjoying the kids' beds |
We have
thoroughly enjoyed seeing Brad more often!
We get to see him at lunch time and he comes in for dinner sometimes
before going back out to get more work done.
He has been able to watch the boys for me so I could go riding for a
little bit by myself. Brad has also
been able to take Joel with him in the sprayer while I ran errands. It works out well for everyone. Brad gets a buddy, Joel gets to ride in the
monster truck sprayer and I get to run errands with one less kid.
There are
some small problems as well. The kids
don’t get to help in the shop as much as they think they should. Changing tires on a sprayer is not a job for
a 16 month old and a 3 year old! Neither
is loading seed boxes on the tender trailer, even if you are almost 5 you are
still too young for some of those jobs.
They are not happy simply watching from the sidelines!
| Joel and Cecilia watching Daddy change sprayer tires. |
Living closer to the farm is proving to be as nice as we thought it would be. The only thing I am missing is talking to Brad on the phone. We used to talk on his drive home every day and now we live at work. In all the debating we had about moving I am glad we decided to move! Being closer to therapy, swimming lessons, church, work, etc has been really nice.

No comments:
Post a Comment