Unfortunately checking the basement didn't occur to me immediately. I was down there about 30 minutes after the incident and I didn't notice any water. Two hours later when Brad said "How is the basement?" I took a better look. He says that I had a panicked look on my face when he asked about the basement. The carpeted floor at the bottom of the basement stairs was soaked. The large book case at the bottom of the stairs was not only covered with water but also water was on every shelf in it. The bookcase has all my veterinary books, our high school year books, books we both read growing up, and apparently some random kids books I forgot we had.
Our day quickly went from relaxed with little to do to all hands on deck we have books and memories to save. Brad fixed the washer and got a lot of fans from the farm to help dry the floor. I rushed as fast as I could to get books away from the water while C ran up and down the stairs grabbing towels. V, J, and C helped lay out the wet books on towels and put the dry books safely on the counter. Once in awhile they had to run a really wet book up to the fireplace and lay it down in front of the fire to help it dry. Dean was kind enough to happily play in the basement and stay out of trouble. We only lost a couple books. There are several that are pretty damaged but not a complete loss. The 100's of versions of our blueprints soaked up a lot of water because they were sitting on top of the bookcase. With any luck the final version is in decent shape. I haven't bothered to sift through them all yet.
The most frustrating part was we had planned on replacing that $11 part every 3 years and 3 years was about 5 months ago. We now have it on the calendar for 3 years from now. I am not letting the washer win again!
| The last of the books drying by the fire |

No comments:
Post a Comment