About Me

My photo
I am married to a wonderful man who is my best friend. I have 3 wonderful boys and a little girl who make me laugh everyday. I love my life, even if it is a little crazy from time to time.

Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Competition

Competitiveness is something that runs deep in our family.  Brad is competitive.  I am competitive.  Brad's family, especially his mom, is competitive.  My family is competitive.  My children are also competitive.  Games around here can get ugly.  There are games that Brad and I no longer play with each other.  I get tired of losing.  There is only so many times one can lose at a game before they get tired of playing a game.  It was well over 100 before I refused to continue playing.

This year the kids turned prayer time into a competition.  C said a really nice prayer instead one of her rambling ones that went on forever, so I complimented her and for the next couple weeks every time we finished prayers C said "Was my prayer the best?"  Although that turned into her wanting to also have the longest prayer of the night.

V loves to be right, he loves to win and he has a hard time when he doesn't.  We are working on being gracious losers.  J isn't as competitive, unless he is sure he can win.  D just doesn't want to be left behind at this point and doesn't quite understand winning and losing yet.



When we celebrated Christmas with my family we had a game where we had to unwrap a present with several layers of wrapping and boxes using an oven mitt.  People were ripping things out of each others hands,  and a bit of trash talk and the traditional accusing Brad of cheating.  We are all older now, so we don't push or shove as much these days.  Then we played the same thing at Stewart Christmas.  There was pushing, shoving, name calling and some obvious cheating.  Although it wasn't Brad that was doing the cheating.

A few days ago we got a used air hockey/pool table.  Tonight Brad and I played each other after the kids went to bed.  Brad asked if I wanted a drink or music.  I told him no.  I didn't want any distractions.  It was intense.  Pucks went flying into hands and also off the table.  It was close, but I lost!  I have feeling this will become a nightly thing...the air hockey, not the part where I lose. 

No comments:

Post a Comment