About Me

My photo
I am married to a wonderful man who is my best friend. I have 3 wonderful boys and a little girl who make me laugh everyday. I love my life, even if it is a little crazy from time to time.

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

A family that sprays together stays together

It is no big secret that my kids (all of them) love to ride in all the different farm equipment.  The problem is that I love it too.  In the fall getting rides is pretty easy.  With multiple pieces of equipment in the field we can divide the children up a little bit so we aren’t all squished in one piece of equipment or *gasp* forced to take turns.  Generally we opt for being squished unless someone is napping in the car.  I say all this to say is that in the summer when Brad is spraying we have to take turns having rides.  Last year it wasn’t a big deal Joel and Vincent would ride with Brad and I would sit in the car with Cecilia.  It meant that I didn’t get a turn to ride in the sprayer, which made me sad, but such is the phase of life we are in.  This year Cecilia realized that she is missing out on something fun.  I can’t send her with Brad by herself because she needs supervision in the sprayer due to her shorter attention span, after all she is only 1.5 years old.  But I also can’t leave the boys in the car unattended either (they know how to start vehicles), so we all climb into the sprayer, get nice and cozy, cuddle up and make the best of it.


Joel and Brad

Joel and Vincent carrying snacks for the sprayer ride


The sprayer in position to get filled up with water

We had the opportunity several times this summer to ride with Brad in the sprayer.  A few times as a whole family and a few times the boys got to go by themselves while I was running errands with the other kids.  My favorite time of year to ride in the sprayer is when Brad is spraying fungicide.  Fungicide is applied to help prevent disease in both corn and soybeans.  It is especially helpful in wet years, but we have seen yield improvements even in dryer years.  The sprayer is tall and you feel like you are just skiing across the top of the corn.  I think it is just a really neat feeling.  If there are any planter skips (areas in the field were the planter didn’t work) and there is no corn then my stomach drops as we go over it.  It feels like you are falling.  It is the thrill of a roller coaster without having to go far from home or standing in line.  Although a roller coaster ride would be a lot cheaper than buying a sprayer!


The boys going to get a ride in the sprayer

The sprayer boom spans 120 feet


Sprayer in action


We did discover if I sit on the seat with Cecilia and the boys sit on the floor and use my legs for a backrest we can all fit in there.  We tried once with me on the ground with Cecilia and the boys in the buddy seat together, but it was a lot less comfortable for me. 


Sprayer shadow

Grandpa Craig, Brad and Vincent


Vincent and Daddy...Cecilia was there just sleeping in the car


Even though we are all sitting on top of each other and confined in a small place I really love it.  Not so much that I could do it all day every day, but for a few hours several times during the spraying season it is fun.  Just think about all the quality time as a family even if it is in very tight quarters.  It is fun to watch the kids excitement about farming and knowledge grow as they get older.  Before long they will know more than I do!


If you look closely you can see my legs, Brad's legs, Cecilia on my lap asleep, Vincent sleeping leaning against my legs and Joel on the floor watching were we are going.

Daddy, Mommy, Joel and Cecilia


Vincent joining us for a picture...Where did Cecilia go?


Brad working while I am posing for pictures...Cecilia is sound asleep.  Horse rides and tractor rides always put my kids to sleep.



No comments:

Post a Comment