About Me

My photo
I am married to a wonderful man who is my best friend. I have 3 wonderful boys and a little girl who make me laugh everyday. I love my life, even if it is a little crazy from time to time.

Monday, January 28, 2013

Saturday Night Date Night



Brad and I have a really exciting social life and a couple weeks ago we actually had a Saturday night date night....hanging drywall.  Doesn't that sound like fun?  I had worked that day and we played hard with the kids all day and by the time they were all in bed at 10 pm I was tired.  Brad had been talking for a couple days about hanging the drywall and in my mind it did not involve me.  I had planned that he would get someone (not me) to help and any time not spent on drywall would be time I had to work on my very long to do list.  Brad’s plan and my plan were not the same.  Friday night he asked me about hanging drywall on Saturday and I said sure, again thinking I really wouldn’t have to help.  I was in denial and I don't really know why.  Saturday night when I got the last kid to bed, Cecilia, I thought it was so late that Brad wouldn’t want to start a project (still in denial).  I was wrong and Brad was all ready to get started hanging drywall.


Brad preparing for the last sheet of dry wall on the ceiling

Brad carried one sheet of drywall from the shed at a time.  It sounds easy but it was windy and there was freezing rain!  I stood at the door ready to run outside and help if it looked like Brad or the drywall was going to blow away.  It almost happened a couple times.  The drywall we were hanging was mostly on the ceiling of our living room from the damage our washing machine did this fall.  Brad and I climbed up on ladders with the drywall and I quickly realized how hard this was going be, drywall is heavy.  It feels even heavier when the drill your husband is using stops working and he has to switch to another drill that was not meant to be used on drywall.  I was only obligated to hold the drywall up long enough for Brad to put just enough screws in to hold it up.  Then I was free to get off of the ladder and give my arms and head a break.  After 3 plus hours and a lot of frustration we completed the job!  I was very happy that it was done.  Toward the end I may have napped on the couch while Brad was getting things ready for the next sheet of drywall.  I couldn’t help it I was exhausted!  


Me looking gigantic in my work pants and sweatshirt holding up the last sheet!!!  I napped on the couch shortly after the picture was taken.


 Brad and I have done a lot of home projects together.  Some are definitely more fun than others, but we always have fun working together.  That doesn't mean there isn't whining or a little teasing or a little complaining, but we are at least able to laugh at ourselves and each other and I think that is what makes it work.


No comments:

Post a Comment