Vince was looking at a catalog and wanted a book that was in it. I told him that he needed to earn the book by doing things around home and listening the first time he hears directions. He informed me (with a little bit of attitude in his voice) "Oh, Mommy I don't want to earn stuff. All you have to do is buy low and sell high! (Long Pause) That is what my Daddy says."
I wanted to laugh and I wanted to be annoyed! I chose to do neither and just tell Vincent that things didn't work like that around home. End of story. He seemed to agree, but in a way that I know he really didn't mean it, he just wanted me to stop talking about it. It was just like when my grandmother says "Ok, fine." Which translates into "think what you would like but I know I am right and we are just not going to talk about it anymore." As I repeated the story to Brad, he didn't do anything but laugh. On the way to school that day Vincent and Brad were talking about grain marketing. It turns out he was paying attention.
As a result we have a new reward system in our house involving pretend coins. You have to earn coins so you can save them for a prize from a prize box, movie time and time to play on my phone. So far it is going well, but we are only 1 week into it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The other day we were driving and out of no where Vincent says "Mommy I can't wait for God to come back to Earth." Naturally I asked why? He told me "I want to see Grandma Mary." Grandma Mary was Grandma Diane's mom and she passed away when Vincent was 1 year old. I told him that if he went to heaven someday that he could meet her then. With a slight roll in his eye he told said "Mommy I want to be alive when God comes back to Earth."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A couple months ago I was driving and Vince was talking and told me that he just didn't know who he was going to marry and who his wife was going to be. He sounded completely distraught. I thought carefully before I answered about all the things my dad would tell my sisters and I when we were little. I told him that his wife should be someone that loved God, loved him, loved her family, loved his family, and someone that was smart. He said ok, paused and said "Logan, Logan loves God." I informed him that Logan was a boy and wives are girls. He quickly said "Brooke! She loves God, she loves her family and our family, and she loves me!" It was like his big worry was instantly gone, problem solved and he went about his life. No mention of it since. I should tell her parents of Vincent's plans.

No comments:
Post a Comment