About Me

My photo
I am married to a wonderful man who is my best friend. I have 3 wonderful boys and a little girl who make me laugh everyday. I love my life, even if it is a little crazy from time to time.

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Harvest Complete...down south


On October 4th we finished up with harvest down south!  We had some help from Birky’s On Track Farming.  They are a custom harvesting crew, and now friends of ours, that came and helped us harvest beans and then stayed on to help us finish the little bit of corn we had left to harvest.   They have two combines just like ours, which makes for a lot of great photo opportunities.  The reason we had them help with the beans was because the beans were drying very quickly and popping out of the pods.  The faster we harvested them the better chance we had of having a good yield.  I think the guys asked them to stay on and do corn too because they were ready to be home and they think it is a lot of fun to have 3 combines running in one field.


All lined up



Grain cart going to load a semi


While they were down south finishing up one Saturday night for the weekend they went back to their trucks that were parked in a field across the street from where they finished harvesting for the night.  Someone had stolen the keys out of our truck and Birky’s truck!  They didn’t take the iPad or anything else that was in the trucks, just the keys.  We don’t know who or if it was just a prank, but I do know that there was a group of irate, tired, and hungry farmers that were stranded late at night.  What I can tell you is there was still smoke coming from their ears when they were talking about it on Sunday.


If you look closely you will see 3 combines


I was very happy when Brad came home the night of October 4th!  It was a nice surprise when he walked through the door!  No matter where the guys are harvesting we don't get to see Brad very much, but when they are around home there are a few more opportunities.  Taking a ride with Daddy is no longer a 3 hour trip one way, I don't have to empty the trash or change Ray's bandage every day.  My partner is back around and even if I only get to see him for a little bit in the morning and a little bit in the evening it makes life a lot easier for me.



Three combines in one field is a lot of fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment