About Me

My photo
I am married to a wonderful man who is my best friend. I have 3 wonderful boys and a little girl who make me laugh everyday. I love my life, even if it is a little crazy from time to time.

Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Camping at Franklin Creek!




Recently I asked Vincent what his favorite part of summer was and his response was “camping at Franklin Creek and having my birthday party there.”  It was a great weekend of camping.  Well, as long as you don’t include the first night where Joel and Cecilia spent the entire night awake. 


Everyone getting ready to ride out when I was waking up from my nap

Joel and Grandma Dawn and Grandma Diane


Grandpa Summers and Chief


Joel and Daddy
Grandma Dawn and Papa Razzi


Joel on Alasan

Vincent and Alasan

Grandma Dawn on Angel.  Angel and I don't like each other, its mutual!


Joel and Brad


We camped from a Thursday to a Sunday. Grandma Dawn, Papa Razzi, Aunt Kasi, Brandon, Grandma Diane and Grandpa Craig were all camping with us!  The kids played in buckets of water, in the creek, rode horses, played in Kasi’s tent and just had fun.  It was very relaxing, well as relaxing s a vacation can be with 3 small children.  Vincent went fishing with Papa Razzi and ended up catching 5 fish!  He was so excited!


Cecilia..so cute!

So much fun playing with creek water in buckets...she probably consumed too much!

She loves water!


Brad relaxing and wishing his back wasn't hurting


Cecilia ready to go with snacks in one hand and a drink in the other


Joel and Grandma Diane


Vincent on Alasan and Cecilia on Croc


Cecilia and Mommy and Hank


Cecilia, Kelli and Brad


Diane and Alvin


Thursday night was interesting.  Joel and Cecilia had hatched a plan that included them taking turns being up starting at 1am and then being wide awake at 5am.  I was not happy!  At 5:30-6am I could no longer entertain them in the camper quietly so I got them dressed and we went outside to start feeding the horses and walking them to the creek for water.  Joel and Cecilia happily sat in the stroller while I pushed them around.  They eventually fell asleep after an hour or two.  I was very excited and parked them in the shade.  A few minutes after they fell asleep Vincent woke up and came outside.  I explained to him that whoever wakes up Joel and Cecilia has to change their diapers for the rest of the day.  Vincent was immediately very quiet around the stroller.  I then told my mom, Brad and Diane the same rule.  Everyone seemed to take me seriously or could see that I really needed sleep.  At that point they suggested I go lay down and take a nap.  I took them up on the offer!



Brandon and Vincent

He is so cute!


Dave giving Vincent a ride in the lawn chair


Brad and Cecilia


Vincent, his new friend Austin and Joel

Friday when we were camping we saw people set up a slip and slide and go down the hill.  Vincent really wanted to join them but we made him eat dinner or something first.  He was not happy but went along with the plan.  By the time we were done eating they had put the slip and slide away.  Grandma Dawn and Vincent them went walking around camp to locate it and see if they could borrow it for Vincent.  Then Brad and Grandpa Craig helped locate some hoses so we could stretch them from the hydrant to the hill.  The slip n slide also had a hole, so Grandpa Craig stood on the hole so it would work right for Vincent.  After  all that Vincent wouldn’t even run and slide on his belly, so I demonstrated for him.  Then I wondered why anyone would do that because it really hurt!  The ground was hard and uneven and it wasn’t fun at all.  I didn’t tell Vincent that part and encouraged him to do it.  He did  and he thought it was a lot of fun.  We forced Cecilia and Joel to try it, but they were not happy about it at all!  

Cowboy Vincent!  Hard to say no to that face!

They found the slip 'n slide to borrow

Trying out the slip 'n slide


Grandpa Craig stood at the end to block a hole


Cecilia watching Vincent


After demonstrating how to slide I gave him a push to help him along


Cecilia trying it out...she wasn't impressed



Cecilia telling Grandpa how much she didn't like it



The riding situation while we were at Franklin was a mixed bag!  Vincent and Joel took turns riding Alasan which is normal.  Cecilia usually rode with me.  Every time we went on a ride it was a different group of people, it was all family and friends but just different people each time.  It was a lot of fun!    On Saturday Craig, Diane, the kids and I all wanted to go for a ride.  The only way to really make it work without any horses being left behind was to let Vincent ride Brad’s horse, Croc.  So Diane ponied Joel on Alasan, Craig ponied Vincent on Croc, and Cecilia rode double with me.  We looked a little crazy, but it was a good ride!



Craig and Joel and Diane and Vincent



Very cute!


At some point in the weekend, I think when I was napping, Alyse came out and rode horses with Brad, Vincent, Kasi and who know who else went riding.  Later when Kasi and Brandon went riding with us Kasi was concerned that the horse she was riding double with Brandon was too old to make it up a steep hill and that he would be able to make it.  Two horses made it up and Kasi and Brandon tried taking Chief up, even though Kasi was against the idea.  Chief slipped on the mud going up and just laid down on the hill refusing to get up.  Kasi and Brandon quickly jumped off.  Kasi wasn't wearing shoes only socks.  Everyone including Chief was fine!  Kasi was a little proud of herself for being right and being able to say I told you so! 


Vincent, Brad, Kasi and Alyse...this happened while I was napping


Kasi and Brandon on Chief

Getting a drink at the creek


Vincent riding double with Mommy
After Chief slipped the shoeless Kasi rode double with my mom

Saturday night the kids and I were on our own because it was Joe’s bachelor party.  My mom, Dave and Brad headed into Chicago first thing in the morning.  My mom helped Jill with wedding invitations while the guys went to a Cubs game and then visited some establishments.  From all accounts it was a fun night.  They all arrived back at camp the next day.  Diane and Craig went out Saturday night with friends who live in the area, so the kids and I had fun on our own.  We didn’t do anything too exciting, but we did walk to the park and play for awhile so they were excited about that!  It was fun until the mosquitoes ate us up!



More water...this time from the hydrant

Two kids in two buckets


Cecilia and Vincent in a bucket


Three kids in a bucket causes problems...Joel going in for a pinch!



Three happy kids in a bucket!

Cecilia and Vincent!

Saturday night at Franklin was entertaining because the only way I could receive texts from my mom and Brad about the nights events and when everyone was coming back was to walk to the top of the hill wait a few seconds, get a text, send a text, walk down the hill check on the kids and horses, walk back up the hill, and on and on.  I looked very silly and lost most of the night!


My rugrats!



They were in major need of a bath!  Yes we were using a pack of diapers and a suitcase for booster seats



There are really few things that are better than camping and trail riding with family and friends.  I am so glad my children are getting to have these experiences.  Even if at times it is a little stressful for Brad and I.  Hopefully it will get easier.



Sometimes Cecilia has a hard time staying awake on the trail



Vincent riding Croc


Diane and Joel

No comments:

Post a Comment